INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting the clipping protection  (Read 1670 times)

svi

Setting the clipping protection
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:17:34 am »

Hi, I prefer to use system volume due to my setup (soundcard, EQ, Crossover and autoamplified monitors). But due to the variable dynamic range between records it would be very convenient to use the clipping prevention but only limiting peaks not altering anything but peaks. But I cannot find any otion to set the amount of -gain. I suppose it is a fixed value. Is ther any option to decide how much gain can be reduced using this limiter?

Thank you in advance

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Setting the clipping protection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:17 am »

Hi, I prefer to use system volume due to my setup (soundcard, EQ, Crossover and autoamplified monitors). But due to the variable dynamic range between records it would be very convenient to use the clipping prevention but only limiting peaks not altering anything but peaks. But I cannot find any otion to set the amount of -gain. I suppose it is a fixed value. Is ther any option to decide how much gain can be reduced using this limiter?

Thank you in advance

Try the "limiter" filter in the parametric EQ module of DSP studio. The PEQ limiter can be configured to a much greater degree than the built in clip protection.  The brick wall version has adjustable gain, and there's also an "adaptive" version where you can set the attack and release. You'll need to experiment with attack and release times, but if you only want peaks dealt with, you probably want a relatively fast attack, fast release type limiter (or you could try the brickwall and see what you think).

That said, a better solution (one that doesn't result in compression) is to provide more headroom, and you don't necessarily need to use internal volume to do that.  For example, you can analyze your music (using the "analyze audio" command) and enable volume leveling. MC will adjust the volume of music to a reference level on a track by track or album by album basis (depending on your playback method).  This will result in some amount of attenuation for most albums, and that will prevent clipping by giving you more headroom, with the added bonus that most music will sound close to the same average volume with volume leveling on.  Volume leveling does not compress the music or affect dynamic range; it just changes playback volume, and works even when internal volume is disabled.  For more info, see this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84489.msg577334#msg577334

Pages: [1]   Go Up