INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scan isues when obtaining cover art using a Canon MG6350 on Windows 8.1 64 bit  (Read 1381 times)

swinster

• World Citizen

Hi All,

Media Centre - 19.0.138.0
Window 8.1 64 bit (latest patches and updates)
Canon MG6350 (latest drivers, re-installed) connected via USB

I'm am trying to solve a little issue for my mother who has been using Media Centre for a long time. Recently, her printer gave up the ghost and we bought a new Canon MG6350. However, she is having trouble to scan cover art directly into Media Centre using Canon's own option - ScanGear.

ScanGear works faultlessly outside of Media Centre, but when invoked from within Media Centre, although we see the ScanGear dialogue and are able to "preview" the image and make various adjustments, for some odd reason when we click the "Scan" button nothing happens. Further, we cannot then close the dialogue box - the only what to then close the dialogue box is to close Media Centre.

When we are within Media Centre and click the "Select Scanner" option, we can also see the same scanner/printer but as a WIA device. If we select this as the scanning device, we CAN scan in an image using the basic standard Windows scanning tool, however, this is much less capable than the Canon software and as such it would be easier to and better to be able to utilise the Canon utility. I also noted that if Canon's own software was selected, invoked and failed within Media Centre, then when when you closed Media Centre, reopened and re-selected the WIA device, scanning would fail. It wasn't until the Printer itself was powered off and on that scanning via WIA would work again. I do also realise that we could create a two step process to scan in the image to a file, then add the cover art from a file, but of course I am looking to make things as simple as possible for my mother and give her the best all round experience.

I did try to run Media Centre as an administrator just to see if this made a difference, but it didn't.

Is this just the way of things or is there a chance that with some tweaking, we can get the ScanGear software to work?

Many thanks

Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I'm sorry, but I don't know.  We show TWAIN dialog boxes but it's up to the driver to do the right things.  WIA might be your best bet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swinster

• World Citizen

Fair enough. I didn't expect much different. I will try Canon, but I don't expect I will have much joy there.

swinster

• World Citizen
Pages: [1]   Go Up