INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO driver may require JRiver to be "Run as Administrator"  (Read 3436 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
ASIO driver may require JRiver to be "Run as Administrator"
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:53 am »

Last week I received a Solid State Logic MadiXtreme card and Alpha Link MX 4-16 DAC for a demo. I installed the drivers, but could not get JRiver to start playback on the device. I tested ASIO output with Audiolense and Room Equalization Wizard (REW) and both worked fine. I like to use REW to check ASIO drivers since it will list all the channels available. In this case, at 48 kHz there are 64 output channels available.

Since JRiver wouldn't work I searched on Solid State Logic's website and found a FAQ that some DAW software must be "Run as Administrator" in order for the ASIO driver to work properly. I tried this using my normal icon pinned to the task bar, but it still wouldn't work. I then browsed to the JRiver installation location and right clicked "Media Center 19.exe" and selected Properties. Under the compatibility tab there is a section called Privilege Level. I checked "Run this program as an administrator" and then clicked OK.

I restarted JRiver and now the driver works perfectly. If you are having problems with an a ASIO driver, you might try this to fix the issue.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: ASIO driver may require JRiver to be "Run as Administrator"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »

Its possible "Run as Administrator" will cause problems with MC.
I had MC crashing while importing and while loading cover art and found "Run as Administrator" to be the culprit.
I discovered this my searching the forum where Matt said something like "MC is not designed to be run as an administrator".
Sorry I can't find it to link to but I'll post it if I find it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »

I searched and found a few posts by Matt where "Run as Administrator" was used to resolve an issue but could also cause some issues. I'm going to try turning of UAC instead and see if the driver works.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:54:36 pm »

Hi,

did you login at windows with an user>administrator account, or admin/administrator?
Weird, but very good find, thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:30 am »

Yes, my user is an Administrator account.

I did some more testing last night and it works with UAC turned off and "Run this program as an administrator" unchecked. It does not work unless one of these two actions is taken.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:33 am »

Ah so probably the use of the ASIO driver doesn't popup the admin permissions required and simply crash or not work.

Maybe an easy fix then if it "simply" needs to honor UAC when admin permissions are required.
Pages: [1]   Go Up