INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume differences between tracks  (Read 1027 times)

ksvane

• World Citizen
Volume differences between tracks
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »

Every now and then I have to open another player, so I can listen to an album and have the volume adjust itself by each track individually, independent from the volume of the rest of the album. I do this because I have many albums in my music library that I have "made" myself, by combining tracks from a lot of different albums under the same album name. I definitely like R128 better than replay gain, I just wish it was possible to NOT preserve so-called intentional volume differences between tracks from the same album in jriver.

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: Volume differences between tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:08:32 am »

I thought this behavior was changed several versions ago?

As far as I recall, using adaptive volume without volume levelling will adjust the volume on a per-file basis, regardless of the other files on the playlist. Only when you use volume levelling in conjunction with adaptive volume will it adjust the entire playlist as a whole.

EDIT: Yes, to quote the adaptive volume thread:

Changed: Adaptive Volume in 'Peak Level Normalize' mode normalizes on a per-track basis when Volume Leveling is off and on a per-playlist basis when Volume Leveling is on.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:24:05 am »

Well, there you go. Just needed to update, then. Thanks.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:47 am »

Every now and then I have to open another player, so I can listen to an album and have the volume adjust itself by each track individually, independent from the volume of the rest of the album. I do this because I have many albums in my music library that I have "made" myself, by combining tracks from a lot of different albums under the same album name. I definitely like R128 better than replay gain, I just wish it was possible to NOT preserve so-called intentional volume differences between tracks from the same album in jriver.
I have requested a fix for this many times now. What we need is some way to mark an album as being a "mixtape".

The proper solution right now is to change the Media Sub Type of that album to "Podcast" as those are forced to use the track-based leveling.
Disabling volume leveling and enabling adaptive volume is not the right way to do this.

It feels like the new R128 Volume Leveling was 90% complete and then the JRiver team moved on to other things. I've posted a handful of things which still need to be fixed/implemented a number of times.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 05:56:49 am »

"Disabling volume leveling and enabling adaptive volume is not the right way to do this."
I realized that as well shortly after posting my reply.

I really hope a proper solution to this is on the way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up