INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles On by default since .108 with ripped DVDs  (Read 2434 times)

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
Subtitles On by default since .108 with ripped DVDs
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:38:03 am »

Well this is new.  I went to watch a DVD movie I ripped with MakeMKV a long time ago (and have watched many times with JRiver) and noticed the subtitles were on by default after I updated to .108.  I then checked other DVDs I have ripped and the same thing happens.

No issues with ripped Blu-rays.

I don't know if this is a bug or a decision but please go back to the way it's always been.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Subtitles On by default since .108 with ripped DVDs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »

Have a look under Tools --> Options --> Video --> Subtitles & Language --> Subtitle Mode, is it set to "Do not show subtitles"?
JRiver CEO Elect

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »

Have a look under Tools --> Options --> Video --> Subtitles & Language --> Subtitle Mode, is it set to "Do not show subtitles"?

If you do that, then when you play a foreign language DVD you would then have to turn the subtitles on.  

The way the program has worked for as long as I remember (I think I started with MC17) is the way a proper DVD player works where you do not have to turn on/off subtitles...it just works.  I shudder at the thought of seeing what happens now with forced tracks.

And just to be clear, my settings for Subtitle Mode have always been the same: "Show subtitles only if selected subtitle language is different from audio language".  And this has always given me proper behavior, until version .108 that is.

EDIT:  Actually, I just checked what happens if you switch to "Do not show subtitles"...no change in behavior.  The subtitles are still on by default.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »

You are correct regarding the settings.  For testing, change it to "Do not show subtitles" a play the DVD - does it still appear.

Next Q - What values (if any) are stored in the "Playback Info" field for these DVD's?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »

Hi,

I'm showing the same behavior in MC 19.0.108.

Subtitles are set to "Do not show subtitles" in settings. However, when I left click on the playing now screen and pull up the subtitles menu, it says English subtitles are on by default.

This behavior only occurs on MKV rips, not on IFO DVD rips.

The values stored for "Playback Info" are (1:2)(7:Streams)(5:0,1,7)(9:Subtitles)(0:)

Thanks for your help and let me know if I can provide any more info.

Phil

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »

OK - Playback Info holds your individual file playback preference (eg what was selected "last time').  If it is blank it will play with the defaults.  If it has values, MC will use those.  Try removing all the details and see what happens, or at least "(9:Subtitles)(0:)"
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

It happens regardless if the "Playback Info" is populated or not.  And I concur with drmimosa with IFO rips being fine.  It appears to affect mkv rips of DVDs.

EDIT:
And just to reiterate, this is a NEW behavior.  Something was changed in .108 to make this happen.  I play mkv DVD rips everyday (mostly for my son) and have never seen this happen since I started using MC.

Also, Blu-ray rips made with MakeMKV are fine.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:26 pm »

Did a test on my system and have some repeatable results.

If I roll back to version 19.0.104 and clear playback info the subtitles problem goes away. Install build 108, subtitles back by default on MKV rips.

I use RO Standard all the time.

Maybe this LAV update is at fault:

19.0.107 (1/15/2014)

3. Changed: Red October updated to LAV Filters 0.60.1 (primarily fixes for playback issues of a few Blu-ray discs, and decoding improvements for DTS audio)

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:40:50 pm »

And, if you haven't noticed, the OSD for audio/soundtrack info changed with .108 as well.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

Gotcha - Unfortunately I don't have any MKV DVD Rips to test with though I'm sure Hendrik will know more.
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »

I've noticed this as well.

I had just finally got around to creating a custom preset for MakeMKV and thought it was what may have caused this.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:22 pm »

This will be fixed in the next build. MC didn't manage to "find" the "No subtitles" stream as exposed by LAV anymore, because it slightly changed its setup - which has been corrected now.
And I was wondering myself just yesterday why some files showed subtitles  ::)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up