INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with conversion cache and file locations  (Read 2563 times)

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
Issue with conversion cache and file locations
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »

I keep my library on my W: drive which gets backed up (network drive).
The conversion cache is located on my D: drive (which doesn't get backed up, local drive).
I understand the need for conversion cache (which is why I had it enabled), but why has J River remapped all file locations to the D: drive??
Trying to un{bleep} my library, I went into the options and set the conversion cache to 'none', expecting the file locations to revert to the original location on W: (since the temp folder should have been disabled by that setting being set to none).
I'm assuming that deleting the cache folder will orphan all my synced files (tried deleting a file from the temp directory and it orphaned the file). However it does look like the originals are still in their file locations on the W: drive.

... Long story short, how do I fix the file locations pointing to temp back to their original locations?!

Editted: this forum is rated PG.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: HELP! Serious problem with conversion cache and file locations!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06:03 pm »

I can't tell you what went wrong with the stacking and conversion cache.  I've found it too problematic to use, but others have had good success.  I suppose it works fine when you understand it well enough.

Is the cache folder included in Auto Import?

You can also fixup file locations.  See Moving Files in the wiki.  Set the Rename, Move & Copy tool into Update ... mode.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

Not quite sure.. I'm working thru the files manually now, which is tedious but making progress.

Is it by design that J River's conversion cache is automatically added to the library? I kinda expected that folder to be a staging/temp location (and can be deleted arbitrarily) and not to get brought into the library.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »

I believe the files get added as subordinate stack members.

The conversion cache used to be more configurable.  You might consider doing away with it, and just creating your own conversions via a virtual handheld w/conversion.

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »

Will try that next. Thanks for the help!

Aside.. Apologies for the explicatives. I curse like a sailor cause I used to be one.
(It wasn't directed at anyone here - you guys are awesome).

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Issue with conversion cache and file locations
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »

Good news! Re-importing all my folders get the stacking to work. Really strange, it dropped the original location and kept the temp location, I didn't notice files were missing because I've been using the temp directory for months or playback! o.O

However, I've disabled the cache for now; how do I force J River to drop all the temp/cache files? I'd like to go without the conversion cache (and remove its remnants)

MrC

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »

I think you can just disable the cache, and delete the cache folder (if the internal references in the MC library are not removed by auto-import, you can search by Filename (path) and remove those files.

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:41:37 pm »

Naturally.. I tried searching by path ("D:\temp") and since the stacking is working now it only pulls up the W: version =p
Is there a way to modify the view or exclude the W: in the search so it doesn't stack? If we can get it do not stack, clearing the cache location should be no problem (right click > delete)

MrC

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:03:25 pm »

I don't recall enough about stacks off the top of my head to give you reliable information, so you should review this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

Non-top stack members are typically hidden from the view, and not searched, so you have to expand the stacks.

User marko is the stacks expert I think, so perhaps he'll pick up on this thread.

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:37 pm »

That link definitely is a step in the right direction ...
I enabled display the Stack Tag, expanded a stacked file, noticed it was tagged with HH Conversion, and then searched for 'HH Conversion'.. but alas, its still being filtered out of the display view :/

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:34 pm »

Eureka!
Went to explorer view, enabled 'Show Files In Subfolder' and went to D:\Temp... Deleting in bulk now  :) :) :)
Thanks 1,000,000!!!

MrC

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:38 pm »

Great.  In a view, be sure to include the Stacks database in the Limit Database modifier! along with Main.
Pages: [1]   Go Up