INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomeRun in the extreme cold [feedback wanted]  (Read 8029 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
HDHomeRun in the extreme cold [feedback wanted]
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:56:21 pm »

I'm considering putting an HDHomeRun ATSC tuner in my detached garage.

This way the tuner could be right next to my antenna.  Then I'd run network cable from my garage to my house (which is safe to run a long ways).

Currently I run coaxial cable from the antenna on the garage into the house.  I'm thinking the signal would be slightly better if I cut out the run of cable from my garage to my current computer tuner (maybe 50 feet of coax).

Is it reasonable to run a piece of electronic gear like a TV tuner where the temperatures will range from -20 to 110 Fahrenheit?

It's going to be a project getting the network cable into the house, so I don't want to do it unless I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HDHomeRun in the extreme cold [feedback wanted]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:07:03 am »

Putting the HDHR in temps that vary that much seems like it'll kill it faster. I'd just use a cheap signal booster in the garage, those are only perhaps $30ish at RatShack. I have one as I was taking a 75 foot run, then splitting 3 ways (1 HDHR old style with 2 inputs, 1 VBox). Worked great.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:10 am »

Will it be always on?

If so, I think it will be less of an issue to be honest.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:19:31 am »

A 50' run is not long for coax (RG6??) and its attenuation should be minimal.  That said, if you have marginal signal then anything helps.  You are better to remove all non used outlets or terminate them with a Ballan as each is reducing signal strength.  If you are going to add an amp then a Mast Head amp is the best else you are just boosting noise as well.  You HD Home Run should give you three indications of overall quality:
- "Signal Strength" which corresponds to actual received power,
- "Signal Quality" which corresponds to the SNR/MER of the signal, and
- "Symbol Quality" which corresponds to the bit error rate.

Boosting the Signal Strength with an amp makes it "louder" but may not help Signal or Symbol quality.  It can be a bit like turning up the volume in a noisy room, it makes it louder but no more intelligent.

I now run a single dedicated line from the Ariel to my HDHomeRun and it makes a big difference.  You could also replace the RG6 (?) with RG11 to reduce attenuation (I ran a 100m RG11 Coax down a block from our cable provider to their CAL that then splits out RG6 to the Cable Modem, Pay TV box etc and it works well).

Now the issue with fluctuating temps if you put the HDHomeRun closer to the source will be "dry" solders.  As they heat and cool, the solder may crack, causing permanent or intermittent failure.  It is not hard to fix but you have to find and resolder these joints.  That said I have an old HDHomeRun and the only issue I've had is with the PS failing to deliver the required (and substantial) power requirements after several years of use.  This is seen as poor signal quality so that is also worth checking.

JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:10:44 am »

I tried a signal booster when I first installed the antenna, and it actually hurt performance.

I'm only 7 miles from the towers, but I'm in a river valley and have lots of old trees around.

Most of the time my reception is perfect, but there are a few times a year where some channels are a bit spotty.  In particular, the NBA Finals in June give me trouble.

Turning my giant eight bay antenna just a little makes a difference in those cases, so I'm guessing it's a multi-path issue from trees.

My Dad recently tested both a Hauppauge 2250 (what I use) and an HDHomeRun and found the tuner in the HDHomeRun better at weak signals.  So I thought switching to that tuner _and_ removing the entire run of coax might be a double win.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:39 am »

What type of antenna do you have? It's been years since I researched it, but I recall certain types being sensitive to multi path, other types able to work around it.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:04 am »

I'm south of  Los Angeles and did what are are talking about, while I don't have the low's you do the highs in my attic are closer to 130-135F in the summer.  I did this for the same reasons.  I had a 50ft run of RG-6 from the attic to the basement where my network rack is.  I didn't like the thought of ~3db of loss (for the 50ft of cable) so I ran Ethernet to the attic.  I'm about 45 miles away from the towers.  My two HD HomeRun DUAL's run just fine 99% of the time.  There was one real hot day (about 101 outside so probably 140 in the attic) where I got some artifacting on the screen, so I power reset them and all was well.  I used a POE-PA2 Passive PoE Injector, Splitter 12v, Splitter 5v, Up to 50 Volt to extend the power and effectively turn the units into PoE devices, to keep such this ease.

http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Passive-PoE-Injector-Splitter-p/poe-pa2.htm

Hope this helps.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:27 am »

What type of antenna do you have? It's been years since I researched it, but I recall certain types being sensitive to multi path, other types able to work around it.

If memory serves, a Channel Master 4228.  It's the old one that people claim is better than the newer model (although I have no idea if those claims are right).

It looks about like Jim's picture sitting on top of my garage :P

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »

Ok. For some reason I can't see that image, either on laptop or mobile phone/TapaTalk. But, I also have a big huge CM4228 which I got specifically because of Multipath issues. I got it in (2006? a while), I live 12 miles from the towers but same basic problem.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:21:13 pm »

I thought JimH was pushing the taciturn envelope (I don't see the picture either).

But source shows there is a link:

http://eecue.com/i/Deep-Space-Network-Antenna-Dish-eecue_31795_655o_l.jpg
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:02 pm »

I thought JimH was pushing the taciturn envelope (I don't see the picture either).

But source shows there is a link:

http://eecue.com/i/Deep-Space-Network-Antenna-Dish-eecue_31795_655o_l.jpg

That can't be Matt's.  There is no snow on the ground.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:11 pm »

Rather than guess, it never hurts to check the OEM's specs. The basic units don't have specs quoted but I did find relevant info in this datasheet:
http://www.silicondust.com/images/hdhomerun/TECH3_EU_flyer.pdf

HomeRun TECH3-EU
Environmental
Operating Temperature:  0 ̊C to 45 ̊C (32 ̊F to 105 ̊F)
Operating Humidity:       20% to 80% (non-Condensing)

The above indicates to me that the environmental conditions that Matt was originally considering would not be acceptable for reliable operation of an HDHomeRun tuner.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 09:17:38 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ended up mounting the HDHomeRun inside the house, right where the coaxial from the antenna comes in the house.  This still cut out about 25 feet of cable from inside the house.

I had to add an outlet and run some network cable, but the project was a lot easier than burying a network cable in my backyard (especially since the ground is frozen now).

Every channel comes in this time of year, so I won't be able to comment on the HDHomeRun vs Hauppauge 2250 until NBA Finals time.

Anyway, thanks again.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:30 am »

I'll bet with Jim's antenna you could find the original 1936 Olympics broadcast up there ....

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:10 pm »

With OTA, you end up fighting with noise level more than signal level, which is why simply adding an antenna preamp is not always THE solution.

Given the new models of HDHomerun doing transcoding, the good old HDHR3 is fairly inexpensive, I bought a few at $59.

Also, electronic's ennemy is more heat than cold.  I would simply go ahead and put one or more HDHR3 (with an Ethernet switch) in the garage, living with the eventual reduced lifespan.

Hope you will read this post soon Matt, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rudy
Pages: [1]   Go Up