INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Optical In from Sound Blaster Zx? Loopback?  (Read 6787 times)

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Using Optical In from Sound Blaster Zx? Loopback?
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »

I just installed a Sound Blaster Zx and I am trying to play audio being sent to the optical in from my STB.
I can listen using the listen feature in the Windows sound properties when using Speakers (Sound Blaster Z).
When I select Realtek Digital Output which is my default device and try using Open Live-->WASAPI Loopback
so I can send it though the MC audio engine I get nothing.
Any ideas on how to get the audio from my SB Zx optical input to play through the MC engine.
Sean

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Re: Using Optical In from Sound Blaster Zx? Loopback?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:02:08 pm »

Nevermind it is working after restarting Media Center and Media Server.
Sean

csimon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

Could you clarify for me what you are doing here?  You have a STB with optical output and taking this into a Sound Blaster device. You can then "listen" to this via Windows, then using WASAPI loopback in MC to pass it through the audio engine, but only by selecting a different output device in MC from what is being fed into the Sound Blaster?

I've been trying to work out how to feed external audio through MC without an ASIO driver. What you're doing sounds indirect but would get round that problem.

Next question is how to set this up so that it can work from MC by simply changing a zone or something! Presumably that's not possible?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:57 am »

Could you clarify for me what you are doing here?  You have a STB with optical output and taking this into a Sound Blaster device. You can then "listen" to this via Windows, then using WASAPI loopback in MC to pass it through the audio engine, but only by selecting a different output device in MC from what is being fed into the Sound Blaster?

I've been trying to work out how to feed external audio through MC without an ASIO driver. What you're doing sounds indirect but would get round that problem.

Next question is how to set this up so that it can work from MC by simply changing a zone or something! Presumably that's not possible?

I'm obviously not OP, but you don't necessarily need a native ASIO driver to feed external input into MC.  I actually had pretty good results "tricking" MC into picking up various inputs using ASIO4All.  ASIO4All is not the most reliable driver (and I never use it for sound output), but it can bundle regular direct sound inputs and present them in an ASIO interface, which can then be picked up by MC's ASIO line-in.  I used to use ASIO4All to get MC to play my USB turntable's direct sound digital output, and it worked more or less perfectly.  You had to turn it on everytime, but that's easy enough to create a shortcut for.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »

Could you clarify for me what you are doing here?  You have a STB with optical output and taking this into a Sound Blaster device. You can then "listen" to this via Windows, then using WASAPI loopback in MC to pass it through the audio engine, but only by selecting a different output device in MC from what is being fed into the Sound Blaster?

What I did:

1. Set the digital out from my integrated sound card (Realtek) to be the default output device in sound properties
2. set the Digital In (SB Zx) as the default recording device
3. opened Digital In (SB Zx) properties and selected listen sending it to the Realtek Digital out
4. in MC click file-->Open Live-->WASAPI Loopback

If you are using a Creative product I suggest not having their control panel running as it seems to cause problems with this at times.
I have created a Zone (Optical In) and I just keep the loopback there in the playlist so all I have to do is switch to it and I have sound from my STB
going through the MC engine. I have noticed some slight lip sync issues that I have not tried to remove or at least reduce yet.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up