INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Force auto-import by alternate means  (Read 1410 times)

cbreeden

• Recent member
Force auto-import by alternate means
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:07:13 am »

Hello,

I'm running JRiver MC19 (on windows 8.1) on an HTPC in my living room.  However, it appears that JRiver is unable to detect when file modifications are made on my shared drives.  JRiver on my main computer, where these file modifications are local, does detect file modifications and auto-imports them, like expected.  But this is not the case for my HTPC.  I am under the impression that there must be some kind of miscommunication going on between the update notification given by windows to tell my HTPC that there have been file modifications on my shared drive and JRiver receiving these notifications.

Either way, I was wondering if there are alternate methods for which I can force an auto-import.  In particular, I am interested in the following two methods:

• A command for the remote to force auto-import from Theater View
  • Set a schedule for auto-import to run.  Perhaps something like hourly (except during playback), or everyday at 3am, etc...

Are any of these methods possible?  Are there other methods?  Thanks.

slayerizer

• Recent member
Re: Force auto-import by alternate means
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:26 pm »

Try this, go into SCHEDULER, ADD TASK, choose COMMAND LINE

Program: click browse and go select Media Center 19.exe   from the folder where you installed j-river.
Arguments: /SilentImport "C:\path\to\folder1|M:\path\to\folder2"

replace the path that you normally use for auto-import. Should give you almost what you wanted.

You can add more folders by adding a | symbol between them

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

I am unclear which PC is the Client and which is the Server or if you are running two separate Libraries.  Could you please clarify? 

A few things of note, regardless:
1) It is recommended that you make file modifications within MC, not in external programs (like Windows Explorer).  Use Right Click (or Tools) -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

2) It is recommended that you enable Run auto-import in background (Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders) and not to turn it off.  It requires less system resources this way because of the way it scans.  (I can't find the link, but maybe Glynor will chime in to explain).

3) If you are making changes outside of MC, make sure you have Fix broken links enabled.  Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Configure auto-import -> Fix broken links. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Move,_Copy,_or_Delete_Files_from_Explorer and http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Fix_broken_links_-_What_is_%22Protect_Network_Files%22%3F

4) If you are making changes on the Client, make sure you have Auto sync with server enabled on the Client.  Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Client Options -> Auto sync with server.  Or else run Library sync manually.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

cbreeden

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »

Try this, go into SCHEDULER, ADD TASK, choose COMMAND LINE

Program: click browse and go select Media Center 19.exe   from the folder where you installed JRiver.
Arguments: /SilentImport "C:\path\to\folder1|M:\path\to\folder2"

replace the path that you normally use for auto-import. Should give you almost what you wanted.

You can add more folders by adding a | symbol between them

That's brilliant.  I'll look into this.  Thanks!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:55:09 pm »

It might be that the better choice is

mc19.exe /MCC 23020,1

Try it first, and if that doesn't work,  use the other command line option provided.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cbreeden

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »

I am unclear which PC is the Client and which is the Server or if you are running two separate Libraries.  Could you please clarify? 

A few things of note, regardless:
1) It is recommended that you make file modifications within MC, not in external programs (like Windows Explorer).  Use Right Click (or Tools) -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

2) It is recommended that you enable Run auto-import in background (Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders) and not to turn it off.  It requires less system resources this way because of the way it scans.  (I can't find the link, but maybe Glynor will chime in to explain).

3) If you are making changes outside of MC, make sure you have Fix broken links enabled.  Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Configure auto-import -> Fix broken links. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Move,_Copy,_or_Delete_Files_from_Explorer and http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Fix_broken_links_-_What_is_%22Protect_Network_Files%22%3F

4) If you are making changes on the Client, make sure you have Auto sync with server enabled on the Client.  Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Client Options -> Auto sync with server.  Or else run Library sync manually.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Well, maybe that could be my issue.  I have not by any means try to sync my two instances of JRiver.  I have two instances of JRiver running, one on an HTPC which access everything via shared drives, and another instance of JRiver on my server computer.  If I could follow your advice to ensure that my library on my HTPC mirrors what is shown on my server computer that would be fantastic and would solve my problem.

I usually do modify files with JRiver when possible.  I'm speaking mostly of the times when I make a copy of a new dvd.  I do not use JRiver for this purpose, but when I'm done, I move the file into the folder which contains movies.  My hope was that JRiver would then recognize I placed a new file in this folder and would auto-import that file into the library.  The instance of JRiver running on my server was doing this properly while the instance of JRiver running on my HTPC was not.  I think this issue of not auto-importing files on shared drives is a somewhat common problem from what I've read and was looking for alternatives around this.  However, I think you might have pointed me to the perfect solution (for me) by synchronizing my libraries.  Thanks!

cbreeden

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »

It might be that the better choice is

mc19.exe /MCC 23020,1

Try it first, and if that doesn't work,  use the other command line option provided.

Great, I'll give this a try too if synchronizing my libraries don't work out as planned (but I think it will).  But just for completeness, perhaps for people who don't have an instance of JRiver running on their server, is it possible to activate this command line argument via a remote control in theater control?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »

... is it possible to activate this command line argument via a remote control in theater control?

Yes, you have to assign an remote key press to trigger a remote program.  See Tools > Options > Remote Control.  The button you'll eventually want in one of the Edit dialogs is Add Run.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up