INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drives Spinning Down  (Read 1053 times)

freddie40

• Junior Woodchuck
Drives Spinning Down
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:17:38 am »

Hi,

I am having problems with a HGST firewire 800 drive spinning down.  It does not spin up fast enough when it comes to a new song and thus skips.  This is a big problem for me.

Could you please put in an option so that the drive doesn't spin down.  Audirvana Plus has this feature and it helps many people.

Thamks,

Dave
Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini  /  Mountain Lion -> JRiver -> Ayre QB9 -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent interconnects & Wire |  Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Drives Spinning Down
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:16 am »

Preventing the drives from spinning down is really a feature which should be controlled by the OS rather than the player.

However, since MC19's release, I have been bugging the JRiver team to change the way that Memory Playback works, so that it would prevent this from ever happening.

In MC19, Memory Playback was changed from caching the files being played, to caching decoded audio, which greatly inflated the amount of memory used, for little-to-no benefit.

I would much rather have seen the additional memory used to cache not only the currently playing file, but the current and next file. This way slow disk/network access would never interfere with playback - the next track to be played is already in memory and loads instantly, and the drive would be spun up at the beginning of a new track to load the next one, allowing minutes for the transfer rather than the last 5-10 seconds at the end of a track which Media Center currently uses.

That said, if you currently have memory playback enabled, you might want to try disabling it.
Rather than loading the track into memory and allowing your drive to spin down, the track will be streamed from the disk which should hopefully keep it active.
Pages: [1]   Go Up