INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a tablet as a zone controller and for video...  (Read 1912 times)

randycw

• Recent member
Using a tablet as a zone controller and for video...
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:18 am »

I think I have deciphered that Android tablets have better integration with JRiver's Media Center than do Apple's offerring, but I am not certain of this and I can't quite figure where to place the ones running Microsoft 8 (ie Surface Pro).

What I want to be able to do, is mount tablets on the walls in certain areas of my house.  I'd use them as zone controllers mostly, but in a few locations I'd use them to display video content streamed from MC19.

APPLE:
I know there is third party support via JRemote, but don't have any experience with it.  (Don't own any Apple products currently)
I don't think Apple's products can do the video portion, is this correct?  If so, then I am ruling them out.

ANDROID:
Gizmo works decently.  I have some experience with it on my phone.  (Don't currently own any tablets)
I think MC-Gizmo will stream video to Android devices, but I gather that this is a bit hit-or-miss.  Which tablets work for video streaming?

WINDOWS 8:
Most expensive option, and don't see much in the forums regarding them.  However, it seems to me that perhaps this would give the best MC19 control as you could use a full version of MC19 on the tablet to control a server of MC19 on the main PC.  Making me think everything should work flawlessly and video would stream period.

So, is there a compelling reason to consider Android, iPad, or Windows Surface over the other?

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:16:44 pm »

android for price, compatibility, flexibility. i have a nexus 7 and video streams just fine looks like the Samsung offerings are the trouble makers

randycw

• Recent member
Re: Using a tablet as a zone controller and for video...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:12 am »

Thank you.

I have seen several people on this forum mention success with the Nexus 7.  Looks like this just might be the proper route.

I'd still be curious about a Windows 8 tablet, but I much prefer the price on the Nexus.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:30:21 pm »

I ordered a Nexus 7 for $227 and a Dell Venue 8 for $265.

I know the Nexus ought to work well given the success others have had.

I am curious about the Windows 8.1 tablet and for basically $40 more I thought I'd experiment.  Mostly I can envision the tablet being magnet mounted on a kitchen wall with "windowed" apps running -- local weather, JRiver of course, wife's recipe thing.  Can't do this with the Android devices, and maybe can't with the 8.1 device either, but I'd like to give it a try.

I'll post more later.  It'll likely be much later as I am currently rebuilding my main media server and updating it.  The old one ran for 7 years 24/7.  Good run, but time to update some hardware.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:57:08 pm »

Well after several days of futzing with the two tablets, I have come to the conclusion that the Nexus 7 is the better choice for me.

The Windows 8.1 tablet worked okay, but didn't deliver on a few fronts -- actually didn't work well in a windowed environment for me, can't wirelessly charge, and I found the Tremote to be a bit clumsy in my kids' and wife's hands.

The Nexus 7 with a little "rooting" lets me have a split screen (two windows basically), tap-to-wake (very handy versus the power button when mounted on the wall).  I can also wirelessly charge this device, and overall it seems to be the easiest for the rest of the family to use.  AND its the cheaper option too!

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:43 am »

glad you found yourself to the better device ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up