INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't fast forward video on LG TV  (Read 24486 times)

geoptin

• World Citizen
Can't fast forward video on LG TV
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:01 am »

Hi
I.'m using the latest v of MC19 as a media server to view and listen to my media files (audio & video) on my LG Smart TV. Everything works just fine BUT I can't fastforward some video files. When I stop a video playback and then restart it, it doesn't start from where I stopped the video and it doesn't even ask me to start from the beginning or from the point I stopped it.

Any advice?
geoptin

Roger O

• Recent member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:44:33 am »

Hi
I.'m using the latest v of MC19 as a media server to view and listen to my media files (audio & video) on my LG Smart TV. Everything works just fine BUT I can't fastforward some video files. When I stop a video playback and then restart it, it doesn't start from where I stopped the video and it doesn't even ask me to start from the beginning or from the point I stopped it.

Any advice?

Video Bitrate may be to high and audio may be over 128 stereo. For streaming on a home network the Bitrate should be no higher the 3600 Main 4.1 and the audio 128 stereo. You can go higher but you may run into problems streaming to other devices? Regardless of what your LG Smart TV specs are the above is recommended.

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:58:04 am »

Video Bitrate may be to high and audio may be over 128 stereo. For streaming on a home network the Bitrate should be no higher the 3600 Main 4.1 and the audio 128 stereo. You can go higher but you may run into problems streaming to other devices? Regardless of what your LG Smart TV specs are the above is recommended.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't know how to fix this in MC 19.
geoptin

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't fast forward video on LG TV
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »

Is it only some video files that won't fast-forward rewind?  And can you do this with music?

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:37 am »

Is it only some video files that won't fast-forward rewind?  And can you do this with music?

It;s only some video files. I don't have any problems at all with my music files (flac and lossless wma).
geoptin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

Is this issue recent, or has it always been true for you?

There has been another recent report of trouble when using a HDTV as a DLNA renderer, so I'm wondering if:

1. Something new is broken.
2. LGs DLNA implementation is just brain-dead with certain sources.

If it is #1, then we can probably get it fixed.
If it is #2, then modifying your automatic transcoding settings may be able to improve or correct the situation.  It might be, however, that it isn't fixable without LG fixing their issue (good luck with that), or with JRiver specially coding support for your individual TV set (yeah, probably not likely unless the issue is widespread).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:16:28 am »

Is this issue recent, or has it always been true for you?

There has been another recent report of trouble when using a HDTV as a DLNA renderer, so I'm wondering if:

1. Something new is broken.
2. LGs DLNA implementation is just brain-dead with certain sources.

If it is #1, then we can probably get it fixed.
If it is #2, then modifying your automatic transcoding settings may be able to improve or correct the situation.  It might be, however, that it isn't fixable without LG fixing their issue (good luck with that), or with JRiver specially coding support for your individual TV set (yeah, probably not likely unless the issue is widespread).

Hi,

I just bought my LG smart tv about a month ago and set up my home network, using MC 19 as media server. I don't have any problems whatsoever with my audio files. My video files also play just fine, only that I can't stop a video and restart it from where I left it. It always start from the beginning. I decided to use LG's Plex media server as well. Well, the results were fantastic. When I restart a video which I had stopped, say 10 minutes before, it asks me a. to start from the beginning b. to continue from where I had stopped it. Maybe I should fix the transcoding set-up. Any suggestions how to do this?
Thanks,
George
geoptin

csimon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 10:33:38 am »

I.'m using the latest v of MC19 as a media server to view and listen to my media files (audio & video) on my LG Smart TV. Everything works just fine BUT I can't fastforward some video files.

Are you trying to fast-forward via the TV's own remote control or via MC?

Background: I have an LG TV and had a DLNA seek problem, it would work fine via MC and JRemote but it wouldn't work via the TV's own remote control. I logged a query with LG and they replied that the function is available for some file types but not others...

"After reading through your query I can advise that with some files types this function is available. Unfortunately by the sounds of things you are unable to use this function, This would be down to the file that you are trying to do this on. My best advice would be to try other files types to see if which type it is that you can do this on. I can only apologise that I was unable to assist you further within your query."

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »

Are you trying to fast-forward via the TV's own remote control or via MC?

Background: I have an LG TV and had a DLNA seek problem, it would work fine via MC and JRemote but it wouldn't work via the TV's own remote control. I logged a query with LG and they replied that the function is available for some file types but not others...

"After reading through your query I can advise that with some files types this function is available. Unfortunately by the sounds of things you are unable to use this function, This would be down to the file that you are trying to do this on. My best advice would be to try other files types to see if which type it is that you can do this on. I can only apologise that I was unable to assist you further within your query."

It's exactly as you describe it. I use LG's remote control and this happens with SOME video files, not all of them, regardless their type (.mp4, .mkv). Unfortunately, the JR Remote Control is no longer for sale, or so I understand. Thanks, anyway, for your help.
George
geoptin

csimon

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »

It should be possible using transcoding in MC's DLNA settings to convert the video to something the TV will work with, but there is no documentation on this so it would be guesswork. I suppose you could follow this up with LG to find out what formats will work but I don't have much hope that you'll get a useful response!  There is also the problem that transcoded video might not be seekable anyway because the renderer won't be able to get the file length.

MC's remote control is not available at the moment but any Windows remote control should work. If it doesn't work out of the box then you can "learn" the buttons in MC's remote control settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up