INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CineForm Support  (Read 5633 times)

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
CineForm Support
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:44:54 am »

Dear Hendrik,

first of all Kudos to you for stepping in the way you have done.

Now to a problem: After lots of saving I have bought my ultimate demo source - TimeScapes in 4K Cineform (https://secure.timescapes.org/products/purchase.aspx?&pai=61387&token=59F5BC). It comes as a 310GB file, in an avi container. Audio stream in 1.5Mbit DTS.  

After installing the CineForm video codec playback in DirectShow players like Quicktime, Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic - HC is OK - although performance and picture quality (especially for those who need to scale) leaves alot to be desired. When trying this file in MC (any version) it fails to load/playback. It gives the following Playback Problem error message:

Failed to connect Video decoder to source/splitter.

This happens in RO modes as well as in Custom with any option there is. The LAV splitter / source filter obviously doesn't work together with the Cineform decoder.

Is there anything you can do to make a quick fix for Cineform playback? This format is really quite popular atm - e.g. Magic Lantern RAW videos are usually transcoded to Cineform - those 1080p files fail to playback in MC as well. The Cineform decoder is available for free: http://cineform.com/gopro-cineform-decoder
I have attached the log file showing the error.

Thank you!

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
CineForm Support
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:48 pm »

Hendrik,

I have done more testing - it really seems to be a problem with JRiver MC and not LAV. In Media Player Classic - HC "LAV splitter source (internal)" (v0.60.1.5) is used to playback CineForm files without a glitch!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
CineForm Support
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »

Red October doesn't use external decoders by design.
It could be added to a whitelist, but that would only allow it to be used in Custom mode and you would still need to instruct MC to use this decoder for the cineform codec.

Its not a bug, its a feature to protect every MC user from the crazyness of their own system and the broken DirectShow filters in this world.

Personally I think you slightly over-represent its popularity.
The codec may be good to send around high-quality demo material, but for actual playback, its just MUCH too slow. So even if MC could open these files, whats the big point. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
CineForm Support
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:05 pm »

Thanks Hendrik, stupid me! I completely forget about "MC just allowing verified codecs" to be used. Personally I think the Cineform codec is very "safe", it's backed by a trusted company and used primarily in the Pro/Indie video world. And trust me - it is THE codec of choice for almost lossless video storage and editing.

So there is a very easy fix - would you please add the Cineform codec to the "internal whitelist of trusted DirectShow filters", so it can be used in Custom mode! Cheers!

Red October doesn't use external decoders by design.
It could be added to a whitelist, but that would only allow it to be used in Custom mode and you would still need to instruct MC to use this decoder for the cineform codec.

Its not a bug, its a feature to protect every MC user from the crazyness of their own system and the broken DirectShow filters in this world.

Personally I think you slightly over-represent its popularity.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
CineForm Support
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »

You should be able to make it work in an upcoming build with a custom mode rule with the condition "codec(CFHD)".

Also, trust me when I tell you that I know my way around the video world. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
CineForm Support
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »

The codec may be good to send around high-quality demo material, but for actual playback, its just MUCH too slow. So even if MC could open these files, whats the big point. :)

Playback of CineForm files is one of the few things having a 4+ core i7 makes actual sense for ;-)

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 19.0.111
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:53:50 pm »

You should be able to make it work in an upcoming build with a custom mode rule with the condition "codec(CFHD)".

Also, trust me when I tell you that I know my way around the video world. :)

Thank you very much, Hendrik! I have complete trust in you  ;) Schönen Abend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up