INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A basic question from a very new user: Can I setup Genre > Album > Track  (Read 2023 times)

DavidAL

Apologies if this is too basic but I've been reading the JR Media Centre documentation for a couple of days and am confused after trying what look like the obvious setup 'controls' in JR MC, and numerous searches in this forum.

I have a large library of classical music in iTunes format (Artist > Album > Track) which I've split into several genres corresponding to classical periods. I have found that the most convenient and rapid way to access a work (I use the Album field for 'work') is to have the following display structure:
Genre > Album (with Artist) > Track (with Artist).

JR MC loaded my library without any problems but the default display produced (on JRemote) is:
Genre > Artist or sometimes Composer!! > Album > Track (with Artist)

I have obtained the Genre>Album>Track display format with several other controllers I've tried recently, so I suspect I'm missing something in the set up for JR MC. Is there any relevant setup in JRemote? I can't find anything. Perhaps someone can point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: A basic question from a very new user: Can I setup Genre > Album > Track
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:23:15 pm »

While in the "Genres" view choose View->Customize View.

You can change the sort order of the View (remove what you don't want) and save it as a new view (or overwrite the current view which is not recommended).

The default shows Genre->Album Artist->Album.

Doing the above would allow you to change it to your preference of Genre->Album

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:03:12 pm »

Yes.  All of the Views in MC are fully customizable.

The views shown on JRemote are separate from those shown in Standard View on the PC, but both can be configured.
Change the views that JRemote sees via Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for Gizmo & Web Gizmo.

You can modify existing views via right-click on the item in the Tree (on the left) and choosing Customize View.
You can also add your own, and build whatever Tree hierarchy on the left (with or without cascading filters) you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:40 am »

To clarify, you can change view of JRemote thru Gizmo under options ? Did not think they were related. I would like to see audio "files" appear in JRemote so we could play a running list,direct from a search or selection. Will the Remote app become fully featured at some time, ie be able to control MCs "tool" functions such as "get art" etc ?

DavidAL

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »

Thanks for the helpful responses. I followed these instructions and set up the views as suggested. This certainly produced what I was looking for in principal but there were several additions to the information displayed that I did not want and, as far as I know I did not setup:

1) The Genre > Album > Artist looked OK but there was an extra 'unassigned' artist or the composer in this field. The correct artist gave the correct track with correct heading of artist and album concatenated, while the other gave the correct track with an incorrect heading of composer and album concatenated.
2) Similarly Album > Artist gave the correct track information but the list of Artists included the composer!
3) Artist > Album also included composer within the list of artists. If the correct artist was chosen then the correct album and track info were displayed, however if the 'composer' artist was chosen album listed all the relevant albums.

I had earlier discovered that some of my problems had been caused by having an un-emptied recycle bin within my NAS music library which led to the addition of unwanted files when the library was scanned by JR MC. I did a thorough cleanup and started again but still got the results listed above.

Unfortunately I have now run out of time with my JR MC trial copy (including an extension) so I cannot pursue this further. I appreciate that I may well have mis-set some other parameters and produced these oddities, but I have not had this type of problem with other server / controller software. I'm not prepared to lay out $50 without more evidence that I can do what I wish with JR MC. I may return at a later date when the software is more mature but probably only if the documentation is improved considerably. For example it would be most useful if there was a 'How to get started' PDF rather the current collection of short texts littered with hundreds of hyperlinks that make it very difficult to follow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up