INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question For Matt  (Read 1642 times)

BarryD99

Question For Matt
« on: February 24, 2002, 09:32:10 am »

Matt:

On compilation discs, if cddb2 dispay name is blank, any chance that you would consider copying the note field (if not blank) into the display name?

If not, a simple No will keep me from continually asking this question.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Question For Matt
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 04:47:21 am »

I'm not sure, but that might be counter-intuitive to some people, so I'm thinking it's probably better to let people do it by hand if they want.

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BarryD99

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 12:48:37 pm »

By hand, its ALOT of work!!!

What about an option that if set would allow it?

How about asking this group who doesn't want it, who does, who doesn't care?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 01:24:19 pm »

>>consider copying the note field
what would be in the note field?

if it is a note from the user who entered it say no
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BarryD99

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 03:18:15 pm »

KingSparta
put a few (one at a time) compilation discs that still show various artists in the track info in your cd drive

right clik on the drive (under devices).
cliok on "cddb  disk info" .
click on the track info tab.
if the display name is blank and there happens to be info in the note tab, there is a high probablity it is the artist name for this track.

I would assume that this is because under cddb1, many people entered the artist info here.

I've been trying to  explain this for 6 months, without any luck.

I'd be willing to have an option that said "if no display name, display note" and ssk if user wants it copied to display name.

this would be much better than having to type in each name, and not particularly hard to program.

My guess is that it would improve getting the track artist name from about 65% up to about 85%

try some of your discs and tell me what you find.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 03:37:22 pm »

Are You Talking About the Tracks Tab, Under "Notes"?

My CD's Tested Are Blank For Notes, and I tested 15 of them
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 05:27:11 pm »

I don't get it...

Actually I do. I did the first time you explained it, just as I suspect Matt did, and most others who followed the thread.

The problem with doing it your way, is that we'll inevitably wind up with people in here asking why MJ is creating MP3's called "Ripped with RealJukebox - Uninvited.mp3" or somesuch.

Contrary to what many of us believe (including myself from time to time), MJ is not designed around the way *I* do things, or the way KingSparta does things or any single person. It's designed to be a jukebox application for the masses, and unfortunately that means that they can't handle every special case that arises. Sometimes the user just has to do that extra step.

And the problem with asking this group's opinion about such things is that we are but a small subset of the userbase. And we're an odd bunch. With odd behavior. And odd requests. I've had more than my fair share in here. Next Page

I think if something like this were to be implemented, it might be better as some sort of generic tag "shuffler". Where you could select a group of files, and choose to have the contents of a specific field copied into another specific field, such that the same data isn't copied into each file, but each file has the contents of field "A" copied into field "B". Something like that would have broader appeal, and would handle both your request, and any other strange, but similar, need.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2002, 10:24:32 am »

Doof

Roger That, 10-4, I Agree
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BarryD99

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 03:00:36 pm »

Doof:

OK. I give up.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2002, 05:07:46 pm »

Well, don't give up. Just try and think of a way you can get what you want AND make it useful to everybody else out there at the same time.

I asked for a plugin that would interface with my mood ring and play music based on my mood. I never got it.
I also asked for a Quick Skin menu that would let somebody quickly choose a mini-me skin without having to go into skin manager. I got that. Next Page

Basically, the more specific or individual a request, the less likely it is to be implemented. It's simple economics, really. One of the best parts in here is the willingness of the users and the programmers to hash out ideas and find a really good way of accomplishing various tasks.

How about my idea about the field shifting? Would that work for you? And is that something that more people would find useful? And is it something that the guys would be willing to do? If not, let's find another way, that is more useful/doable.

The way I thought of it was that it wouldn't JUST do what you ask. It could also pull URL's out of the Notes field and move them to whatever URL field you chose. Or if somebody had put a sub genre in the comment and you wanted them in one of the Custom fields it could do that to.

So basically in your case it would be:

For all 10 of these files, take the data from "Comment" and put it in "Artist".

Note that that is different from:

For all 10 of these files, take the data from the first file's "Comment", and put into "Artist" of all of the files.

like we can already do (not in one step though).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2002, 01:24:57 am »

what would be nice is another source, but that violates the Gracenote CDDB contract
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BarryD99

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2002, 02:38:05 pm »

<  And is it something that the guys would be willing to do? If not, let's find another way, that is more useful/doable.>>

Doof:
I would guess that while field shifting (or mapping)would be much more useful for many more users, the programming effort on J River's part would take days instead of a few hours for what I had requested.  Also, I don't think that the notes field from cdda is ending up anywhere in the MJ database, so I think that the only way my problem would be solved would be to map the field at the time the original cd was in the drive and MJ was connected to cddb, during ripping.

If the objective was to get the highest possible artists in the track info, this is what might happen:

Option would be set on for "agressive artist search"

For compilation discs only:

the first choice would be display name (if there was info in this field)

if not, the notes field was not blank could be displayed in a pop up window and the question could be asked. "Do want to copy this field to display name"

Since many of the older compilation discs have the artist name in the title field such as:

Long and Winding Road - Beatles
or
Beatles - Long and Winding Road

or
Beatles / Long and winding road

etc
etc

a really inteligent program would attempt to parse the title field and find the artist and then ask the uiser wanted to remap the suspect info to display name

Obviously, this would require alot of programming and study, and even I aren't requesting this/

Ethan

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2002, 04:01:55 pm »

>>And is that something that more people would find useful?
I, for one, would definitely use the field copy/paste ability, if it were afforded users.  Like Doof, I don't know whether or not the general interest in such an option would be sufficient for J River to consider implementing the idea, but it certainly has my vote.  And even though it might potentially require a longer time to program, I am confident that its wider appeal would easily make up for the additional time spent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up