INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray Playback Software  (Read 2997 times)

crescentd

• Recent member
Blu-ray Playback Software
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »

The wiki mentions Any DVD and DVDFab specifically.  Is there a reason?  Are these players better than PowerDVD or TMT?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Blu-ray Playback Software
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »

The wiki mentions Any DVD and DVDFab specifically.  Is there a reason?  Are these players better than PowerDVD or TMT?

AnyDVD and DVDFab aren't Blu-Ray players, they're Blu-Ray decrypters.  JRiver can play unencrypted Blu-Rays, but most commercial Blu-Ray's have encryption which prevents JRiver from playing them out of the box.  Programs like AnyDVD and DVDFab allow JRiver to play encrypted Blu-rays, so you get the advantage of JRiver's topnotch video output.   

The two other players you mention are separate Blu-Ray players which use their own video engine.

crescentd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:27:03 pm »

Thank you for clearing up my misconception.

Those tools cost just as much as the player software.  Red October HQ (defaults to Lancoz (sp?) appears to over sharpen on my display (JVC RS40 with all sharpen off in the pj, 7 ft wide screen).  I'll have to give this some consideration.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:15 pm »

You'll find that even if you buy one of the other bluray players you'll still want to buy anydvd to avoid all the issues bluray disc encryption.  Many people that playback bluray discs or iso's on a htpc consider anydvd a must to make the htpc experience less frustrating. ;)

crescentd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:50:54 pm »

wow.  are you saying that if I buy TMT that it won't decrypt blu-ray discs?  I would think it would be hard for those folks to make a living in that case.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:00:03 am »

wow.  are you saying that if I buy TMT that it won't decrypt blu-ray discs?  I would think it would be hard for those folks to make a living in that case.

It will decrypt them, however its not always a perfect experience, and AnyDVD can fix that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up