INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob Question: MC behaviour when working with NAS  (Read 1166 times)

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Noob Question: MC behaviour when working with NAS
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:35 am »

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a NAS to serve all my media files in the house for multiple MC's in different rooms.

This One: Synology DiskStation DS2413+

1. What would be the best setup in this case?

2. Can i simply add path's like they were on local drives?

3. I will use one version of MC to add/tag files on the NAS. What do all the other MC Versions (on different PC's) do when they find these new files?

4. When changing tags with this MC Version, will all the other MC's in the house simply update library from tags, or do they try to overwrite these tags with the old values? (This is a very important thing for me)

As i said, i want to use one PC/MC 19 for adding and tagging files on the NAS, and all the other PC's with MC 19 should update library with this changes/additions.
Is this standard behaviour of mc or do i have to do this manually?

What would be the best setup to achieve this goal?

I would be really happy for helpful answers.....Thanks.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Noob Question: MC behaviour when working with NAS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a NAS to serve all my media files in the house for multiple MC's in different rooms.

This One: Synology DiskStation DS2413+

1. What would be the best setup in this case?

2. Can i simply add path's like they were on local drives?

3. I will use one version of MC to add/tag files on the NAS. What do all the other MC Versions (on different PC's) do when they find these new files?

4. When changing tags with this MC Version, will all the other MC's in the house simply update library from tags, or do they try to overwrite these tags with the old values? (This is a very important thing for me)

As i said, i want to use one PC/MC 19 for adding and tagging files on the NAS, and all the other PC's with MC 19 should update library with this changes/additions.
Is this standard behaviour of mc or do i have to do this manually?

What would be the best setup to achieve this goal?

I would be really happy for helpful answers.....Thanks.

The way I would do it (there are many ways)....

1. Share your music folders on the network as "read only" so that other users cannot modify them. You will have to set up permissions for the pc that will do the tagging for read/write access.
2. Under Tools/Options/Library & Folders: When configuring auto-import (folders for program to watch) I select all options on whatever machine will be tagging. On all other machines, do not select "Write file tags......". Some of the other options may be chosen for your needs.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up