INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAC with preamp  (Read 2040 times)

omaha

• Recent member
DAC with preamp
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:02:38 am »

I'm not an audio sophisticate, so please bear with me. I have an HTPC with a PCI sound card. I use SPDIF to an Anthem AVM 20 preamp which has only 6 analog input channels. I wish to enable Dolby TrueHD through MC. Can someone explain what hardware and physical connections would be required to feed a 7.1 TrueHD signal from the HTPC to my power amps? Thanks.

omaha

• Recent member
Re: DAC with preamp
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:09:24 pm »

Ok.I'm learning. Sounds like the most reasonable option...certainly the cheapest... Would be to just use analog out to the receiver and settle for 5.1 HD audio. Or, get a new receiver with  either HDMI, or 8 analog channels.  The third option would be to run a USB audio interface to a preamp, which would reduce electrical interference, but if i have that problem, i can't hear it. Any thoughts?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:53:26 pm »

Hopefully I've got the right piece of kit. Is this your unit?
http://archive.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/avm20lit.pdf

If so, looks like the best you could go with for digital in is S/PDIF and from this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF

S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) which require greater bandwidth like that available with HDMI or DisplayPort.

This question gets asked a lot.

But my thought is why not output the audio via S/PDIF and let MC process the channels. MC can mix audio channels down or up (via Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & output format > Output Format). OK - it won't be lossless but using the analogue outs from your PC may not be the best plan either, unless you've got a high powered sound card. Do a comparison and let your ears decide what works best.

That should get you sorted until you work out what will replace the AVM 20.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

omaha

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Astromo. Yes, that is my receiver. I've been on vacation for a couple of days, looking out over azure water and palm trees. I had a chance to do a little reading and there is a very good thread discussing much of this here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55607.0. It's a little dated, but well worth reading for anyone who's interested. Some are outputting directly from sound card to amp. That makes it a lot simpler as i was thinking i might get a Parasound P7 to feed the mains. Might do it anyway, for the same reason I'd get a trophy wife...just kidding, honey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up