INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshoot: how to play 24/96 via JRemote on a wireless network  (Read 2759 times)

RioTubes

Background: I use MC 19 on a win7 pc and have configured a DLNA Server so that I can use JRemote on an iPad as a controller with a NAD D 7050 DLNA compliant receiver. The PC has a wired ethernet connection to the ASUS 802.11 AC router but the NAD is wireless.

This setup works flawlessly on 16/44 material, but it will not play 24/96 files yet the NAD is capable of this spec. I've configured the DLNA settings as follows. Any thoughts?

Mode: Original
Format: 24 bit PCM

On JRemote, I have unchecked "enable transcoding"

When attempting to play a 24/96 track, it tries to play it ( you can see the progress bar try to advance) but then it skips to the next 16/44 track. Perhaps the wireless network is not robust enough, although I would like to eliminate whether I have the wrong settings configured.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Troubleshoot: how to play 24/96 via JRemote on a wireless network
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:58:41 am »

I've had a similar but not same problem. My NAS and my Naim renderer are wired, but my instance of MC on my laptop is wireless.

16/44 plays fine, but hi-res does not; there would be some music, followed by gaps, then music, gaps, etc.

So, I figured the problem was the upload speed from my laptop (which is slower than download typically).

I solved that (finally) by using MC as a controller so that there is strictly a wired connection from the NAS to the renderer. And it works.

I realize that this is not the same situation as you have, but the wireless has to be the issue.

Is there any way to wire up your receiver and see if that works?

It's also possible that the signal strength at the receiver is weak enough that your bandwidth is low.

In the end, it might make sense to consider pulling a cable and trying your luck with poweline networking (although there are a lot of ways that can not work).

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Troubleshoot: how to play 24/96 via JRemote on a wireless network
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:09 am »

^

To stream 24/96 you require a clean bandwidth of 5Mbps sustained throughout the whole download and without any let up. And if MC is loading the track from a NAS and serving on to a player it needs this for both legs of the journey (i.e. 10Mbps in total).

WiFi router manufacturers often make extravagant claims about the throughput of their devices under perfect test conditions, whereas in the real world 10Mbps is often quite hard to sustain. If it won't work with your wireless set up then the only solution is to go wired.

When attempting to play a 24/96 track, it tries to play it ( you can see the progress bar try to advance) but then it skips to the next 16/44 track. Perhaps the wireless network is not robust enough, although I would like to eliminate whether I have the wrong settings configured.

Notwithstanding the above comment about wifi bandwidth, it could nevertheless be the case that your NAD simply cannot play your 24/96 files. I know you said it claims to be able to support them, but often manufacturers claim to support files loaded from (say) a USB drive, but cannot play them when served via UPnP. What is the format of your media files (flac, wav, etc.)?

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up