INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping CDs  (Read 1284 times)

tasar

• World Citizen
Ripping CDs
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:50 am »

AIFF aside, is it best to rip and import from ITunes, ie keep two libraries? Seems if you want ITunes database it would be less hassle than exporting from MC. If you choose to go MC > ITunes, will there be an Alac or AIFF convertor provided ?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Ripping CDs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:29 pm »

Not sure if you have a PC or Mac. Not sure if you are using iTunes or some other software to rip, i.e. MC for PC or XLD for Mac.

Personally I don't have iTunes organize my library nor copy it to an iTunes media library.

I keep all my music files in a music folder on a NAS (previous to that it was on an external HD).

I rip using XLD on Mac, if one wanted it does have the option to add files to iTunes, so you could have it both add music files to iTunes while at the same time putting them in the music folder from which MC manages the music library(and either have auto import configured or manually import).

So I guess my question is, what format do you want to store your music files in, and do what are you using to rip your music files?

If you ripped via iTunes and had both iTunes and MC pointing to the same music library folder (see above in regards to iTunes preferences), you could have your cake and eat it too.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:36:39 pm »

Thanks again BP. Yes, Mac and though I've used XLD, which purports to be more thorough, I saw(heard) no benefit for those managing files in Tunes. So yes, both can point to same HD, and I love cake.

However, still would like to know without attempting, is the ripper in MC functional ? If so, and as a virtual drive, can MC stand on it's own ie is it a fully functional piece of software that, in this case, only requires OSX ? I realize this seems elementary, but there's little to confirm from documents. I find it strange that so much is presumed in the computer audio world, that it will remain daunting for mere audio mortals.

Anyway, going forward, this is powerful software, and with the multitude of downloadable file formats, ITunes seems redundant and exclusionary. As for ripping in MC, does it point to a storage device, or will this be a 2 step process of sorts ?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:38:08 pm »

MC Mac doesn't rip yet.  It is on the list of desired features, but JRiver has stated they don't know when it will arrive.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up