INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting JRiver (Gizmo) to play in zone2 on AVP  (Read 2676 times)

Jovi1964

• Recent member
Getting JRiver (Gizmo) to play in zone2 on AVP
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:34:06 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to get JRiver to play in Zone 2 on my AVP (Marantz 8801).  I have no issues playing music using the Marantz app on my android using DLNA.  However, I'd like to use the Gizmo app and use Play Doctor.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Getting JRiver (Gizmo) to play in zone2 on AVP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:13:35 am »

If the amp is not a renderer than you cannot send music to it from MC/Gizmo. If it is a renderer then it should appear automatically in the list of zones in MC/Gizmo and you can play to it by changing the zone (tap to change the zone as it says in the title bar).

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Re: Getting JRiver play in zone2 on AVP (_with reasonable performance_)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:23 am »

Goal: Play music from JRiver library to Zone2 of an AVR WITH REASONABLE PERFORMANCE)

I am not facile with what I will describe (and thus I may be asking obvious stuff that one should know - apologies in advance).

I have a headless CAPS 1 server and latest MC 19.  I use JRemote - works very well.  Stable. spiffy, etc - plays to my "big rig" - no problem.  Library is > 100K on a NAS

In another room I have an internet aware Marantz receiver.  Using the Marantz APP on my ipad/phone, I can send music to Zone2 of the marantz. Can also adjust volume. 

Music plays.  Quality not an issue as music just goes to patio area of house (backround)

BUT

It seems (not sure) the Marantz app doesn't actually keep a library - it scans the NAS each time the app is invoked - takes along time (> 5 minutes) - performance re: chosing music is sluggish

There is another program discussed here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/marantz-app-17944/

that does or does not work very well (like the Marantz).

Question: is there another solution that will allow me to play music to zone 2 using the ipad that is "spiffy" form JRiver databse

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:38:41 am »

The Marantz probably supports DLNA.  Read a little on our wiki in the DLNA topic.  The function of the Marantz would be to act as a DLNA Renderer.  Get that working from MC.  Then try using JRemote.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:50 am »

I think, reading between the lines, the issue is that the Marantz won't publish both its Zone 1 and Zone 2 as seperate renderers so you can't select one or the other via another DLNA controller. MC can play to any DLNA renderer that appears onthe network but it looks like your amp does not make any distinction between Zone 1 and 2 when it comes to being a DLNA renderer. Presumably, its DLNA renderer only plays through Zone 1. Have a look in its manual just in case. If it does allow this then Zone 2 should appear automatically in MC or you should be able to play to the amp from MC and select on the amp whether it's Zone 1 or 2, and there will be no problem, but as you're not able to do this I guess it doesn't.

I think a possible solution might be not to use DLNA and use an audio output from your PC to go into the amp as an input. Then on the amp you can direct the source for Zone 2 to be that input.  In MC, you could set up that audio output as a zone so, in effect, you would then be selecting the amp's Zone 2 from MC.

If your PC is not near the amp and you really want to use network protocol to play music to the Marantz (i.e. DLNA) then you could get a media streaming box such as the WD TV Live and plug that into the amp. MC will then see the media streamer as a DLNA device which you will play to instead of the amp. Obviously, on the amp you will then direct the input that the media streamer is plugged into to Zone 2.

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »

« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:38:50 am »
I think, reading between the lines, the issue is that the Marantz won't publish both its Zone 1 and Zone 2 as seperate renderers so you can't select one or the other via another DLNA controller. MC can play to any DLNA renderer that appears onthe network but it looks like your amp does not make any distinction between Zone 1 and 2 when it comes to being a DLNA renderer. Presumably, its DLNA renderer only plays through Zone 1. Have a look in its manual just in case. If it does allow this then Zone 2 should appear automatically in MC or you should be able to play to the amp from MC and select on the amp whether it's Zone 1 or 2, and there will be no problem, but as you're not able to do this I guess it doesn't.

>>>>>I think this is correct because zone1 changes to the media server, no matter it's prior state, when marantz used via jremote AND there is only Marantz visible to access

I think a possible solution might be not to use DLNA and use an audio output from your PC to go into the amp as an input. Then on the amp you can direct the source for Zone 2 to be that input.  In MC, you could set up that audio output as a zone so, in effect, you would then be selecting the amp's Zone 2 from MC.
>>>not close physically

If your PC is not near the amp and you really want to use network protocol to play music to the Marantz (i.e. DLNA) then you could get a media streaming box such as the WD TV Live and plug that into the amp. MC will then see the media streamer as a DLNA device which you will play to instead of the amp. Obviously, on the amp you will then direct the input that the media streamer is plugged into to Zone 2.

>>>>actually have a couple of wdtvlives next to the amp, one just sitting there not in use  This might work but I am tying to set up for spouse and will see if there are other issues with volume control and her ability to use zone 2 only

Fr now a more limited (1000 or so songs) play list for her to use may be workable

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:44 pm »

Using wdtv works.  Plays to zone 2 and I can contort with jremote because it sees the wdtv

Thanks for suggestion

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:27:50 pm »

"..can control (volume and selection) with JRemote"   I meant

works much better than the Marantz app - slooooow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up