INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Filename' field disappears II  (Read 976 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
'Filename' field disappears II
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »

I'm in the process of restoring my library on a Windows 7/64 bit machine. I started by restoring from a previous good backup, and then commenced adding files from an external drive by dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer. At a certain point, I found that the paths for items in the backup had disappeared, although the paths in the newly imported files were there. Clicking on them resulted in 'file not found.'

Thinking it was a function of dragging and dropping, I then backed up using the import function in MC, with the same result. (I find the native import tool slower than dragging/dropping.) I finally tried right-clicking on the files I wanted to import, and then selecting Media Center>Import, same result. I've rebooted my machine several times to make sure it wasn't a temporary anomaly but nothing changed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I found a thread back in 2008 reporting the same issue, but it was apparently never resolved there. All suggestions will be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 'Filename' field disappears II
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »

Hi Harry,
If the files aren't where the library says they are, that would happen.  Try moving a few.  This might also help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

Jim

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »

Thanks Jim. I should have added that the backup showed paths, and files from the backup play perfectly until I try to add files from the external drive to the database. When I do that, the path disappears even though the files themselves are still in the location that the backup database initally showed. (I checked that even though the filename field was blank.)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:10:58 pm »

I've tried to replicate what you might be doing, but can't get that failure.  Here's what I did:

- Create a new library
  - Import a set of files
  - Backup the library
  - Quit MC
  - Rename the folder containing those files
  - Launch MC and Restore from backup (paths are there, but files are missing according to MC)
  - Create new folder and name it to what the original folder name was (MC's notion of file names is now correct)
  - Drag files to folder with original name
  - Drag those files into MC

At this point, the Filename field is valid, MC shows the files as existing, and plays them.

I did not have auto-import running on that folder, so this might be a factor.  Did you have it enabled for the paths?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up