INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about ongoing compatibility with OSX versions?  (Read 2283 times)

cowboy_flm_fan

How about ongoing compatibility with OSX versions?
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

I have a 2006 mac mini that came with OSX Tiger.I guided the system trough various update cycles until now where it is running 10.6.8 and that is as far as i will take it.Each update / upgrade costs me a lot of time and always brings some new issues.One of the reasons for this is that Apple removed the Rosetta stuff from the newer OS versions,rendering Power-PC programs useless. Since I have some of them in use,an OS upgrade would immediately impose me to an ongoing search for newer versions of these programs.
After this brief introduction ,here is my question : will there ever be a rock-solid release for the 10.6.8 OSX? or is it JRiver policy to follow Apple in their rat-race of releasing new versions,and eventually forcing me to upgrade the OS, just to discover that there are no drivers for my ancient HP laserjet available for this new version of OSX, just because nobody cares about it anymore?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: How about ongoing compatibility with OSX versions?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:25:14 pm »

Who can say for sure, but I'd suggest your requirements might be a challenge.

Holdouts will always be making trade-offs, and this may be one of them.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JohnAV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:04:07 pm »

7+ year old mac mini, seems like you had a good run with it.  Supposedly there is a new model imminent (end of February) :)
Current Mac OS 10.9x requires a Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

cowboy_flm_fan

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:55:55 pm »

I know it's all in the mind setting of the guy who does the coding / programming. Whether he/she chooses to simply fix a bug the proper way or just declare the old stuff obsolete is a matter of choices.
A new OS brings new possibilities, i will not deny that , but very few application programmers - i mean the people who write programs running under a certain OS - actually have the right attitude. So my program doesn't work under the new OS? everybody's complaining about this? let's fix it!!!. Ohh whee now it doesn't work under a very old version of the OS anymore...who cares.just some old buggers out there!
I happen to listen trough an ancient Quad 405 amplifier and a pair of B&W DM7 speakers. Nowadays people are astonished by the quality of such equipment manufactured in those days ,but yet is was discarded some 20 years ago, because one would have surround sound, or smaller speakers or whatever.
So to say I have to be happy for the fact that i was able to enjoy the same system for 7+ years,and that it's about time to change? My HiFi gear is over 40 years old and still hard to beat!
Come on let's face it! Apple is changing its (OSX) user interface into the direction of iOS/mobile/tablet/smartphone, and I'm certainly not waiting for this! My gear is stationary and will stay that way.
I know I cannot hold this attitude forever, but the purpose of posing my question on this forum is to get an idea of the way of acting the developers of this system (JRiver) have.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:06:49 pm »

I believe the original development target for MC on OSX was: Lion or newer, and hopefully we can get it to run on Snow Leopard too.  They did, though it isn't (or wasn't, last I tried) perfect.  If you're having specific issues with the current version on 10.6.8, it is certainly worth reporting them.  There isn't a huge user-base reporting issues on that to my knowledge... I used to during MC18 early development, but I've subsequently been able to upgrade and I'm running Mavericks now pretty much across the board.

I don't know how much effort they'll put into it, and I think the development environment they're using is on Mountain Lion or newer, but it is still worth reporting any issues you encounter.

Anything prior to 10.6.8 is not supported at all.
Basically, you're right on the edge.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JohnAV

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:56 pm »

GoSquared has a nifty web page the looks at all the web traffic and can discern percentages of what OS version people are using to surf the web.  See https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/#start
This plot/timeline represents since Mavericks was released, the date/time markings don't mean anything.

Last reading
Mavericks 44.10%
Mountain Lion 20.01%
Lion 15.98%
Snow Leopard 16.28%
Leopard 3.07%
Tiger 0.45%

Apple has already signaled a end to OS X Snow Leopard support per some computer articles online as a FYI.   The giving 10.9 away for free, caused a bunch of 10.6.8 holdouts to upgrade. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up