INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mom Died Today  (Read 9900 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Mom Died Today
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:36:42 pm »

We knew it was coming.  She was 94 today.  She waited until about 10:00AM when she would normally have been in church.

I think she had a good life.  My two sisters drafted and we all edited this obituary.  

Note that Aunt Ruthana, her surviving sibling, originally the eldest, will turn 101 this year.

Catherine J. MacDonald, age 94, died Lincoln, NE, Feburary 9, 2014.   Born on a farm at the edge of Fairbury on February 9, 1920, at 16 she became Miss Fairbury.  She put herself through secretarial school during the Great Depression. She married Cliff Hillegass in 1939. During WWII Cliff enlisted in the Army Air Corps, and they moved to Chicago where Cliff studied meteorology and Catherine did clerical work for the Manhattan Project, unaware of the purpose of the top-secret project.  Later in the war they moved to Monroe, Louisiana, where Cliff taught meteorology to navigators and their first child was born.  When the war ended they returned to Lincoln where two more children were born.

Catherine was the co-founder of Cliff’s Notes, launched in 1958, with her husband.  While Cliff worked at Nebraska Book Company, Catherine operated the fledgling publishing company out of the basement of the family home.  In the first few years she shipped over a million Cliff’s Notes with a tiny staff including her three children.  

After 27 years of marriage, Catherine and Cliff divorced. Catherine married Dr. Frank M. MacDonald in 1967, and moved to Bloomington, MN. They retired to a home they built outside of Bayfield, WI.  Upon her second husband’s death, Catherine returned to Lincoln.  

Catherine was a lifelong nature lover, a bird watcher, and gardener who ultimately cultivated 350 varieties of iris in 65 raised beds.  She loved every kind of handwork from sewing, dying and spinning wool, and weaving to carpentry.  She learned about plumbing and tiling to remodel a bathroom.

She was a Cub Scout den mother and leader of a Camp Fire Girls group.  She sang in the Lincoln Cathedral Choir and the Lincoln Symphony choir and was active in the Lincoln Symphony Guild.  She also sang in church choirs throughout her life, well into her 80s.  She volunteered at Bryan Memorial Hospital and was active in its Pink Ladies organization.  She edited the Nebraska Centennial First Ladies’ Cookbook.

Preceded in death by her parents Clarence James and Edna Ellen Galbraith, her husband Dr. Frank MacDonald, her brother George Galbraith, and her sister Maxine Galbraith.  

Survived by her sister Ruthanna Chase, her son James C. Hillegass, daughters and sons-law Linda Hillegass and Jim McKee, and Diane and Michael Nolan, step-sons and daughters-in-law Larry and Julie MacDonald, and Daniel and Kim MacDonald, grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

Services private.  Memorials to Chet Ager Nature Center.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Mom Died Today
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:46:06 pm »

Sorry for your loss Jim.  It has been a rough 2014 for the JRiver crew.  I'm hopeful for a more positive turn soon.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »

Wow what a diverse and interesting life.  All the best wishes to you and the family during this difficult time.
JRiver CEO Elect

Castius

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:19 pm »

My Condolences

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:34 pm »

I'm So Sorry To Hear That Jim

sounds like she was busy in her life.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:26 am »

My condolences Jim. Rough start of the year for sure. I hope things will turn around soon though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:01:46 am »

My condolences Jim, to you and your entire family.
Even knowing that it might come doesn't make it easier. We always hope for another day, another month, another year before we have to face the reality of it all.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:39 am »

Sorry for your loss

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:51 am »

Very sorry to hear of your loss Jim. She sounds like a wonderful woman with a fascinating amount of interests and activities. Obviously had a very fulfilling life. You were fortunate to have had her for a mother and she was fortunate to have had you as a son.

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:03:33 am »

Im very sorry to hear that, Jim.  Here's hoping this year starts to improve now!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

My condolences to all the family.

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »

Sorry about your mother's passing. May she rest  in peace.

George Omoregie.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. The local paper has a nice picture of her from 1960:

Pages: [1]   Go Up