INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing library Fields  (Read 699 times)

drc

• World Citizen
Missing library Fields
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:55:26 am »

Hopefully, this is a legitimate question, in your developments of new versions, does your team remove fields?  Is there a standard across the board when creating fields?

I can not locate two fields that I was sure existed before:  Performers & Mixed Artists.

The problem is those fields where apart of a script i created and now they don't populate (tag data) and i've pretty much exhausted all other field that are availble between the two media programs i'm using.

To temporaily result this, i've selected save user data to file where possible but it doesn't populate the old files just the new ones.

So am i correct there were two previous fields Performers & Mixed Artist in previous versions of MC.

Thanks

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing library Fields
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:58:02 am »

The Performer and Mixed Artists fdatabase fields are not pre-defined in my copies of MC 17, 18 or 19.  You may have defined those fields yourself in a previous version of MC.

These steps will help and understand what's going on and solve your problem.  These assume that you are using standard mode rather than theater mode.

1. Select a file that should have tag values for these tags in the file.  Y

2. Open the Tag window if it is not already open in the lower right corner of the MC window. (Click on Edit/Tag)

3.Click on the first line in the tag window below the window header.  (It should sqay something like "Flac - 7:17 - 31.3 MB".  This will show the tag values that are actually present in the file.

4. Scroll downward in the Tag window looking for the tags that you think are present in the files.  You should see a line that says "PERFORMER = ...".  Note the exact wording for the tag names for Performer and Mixed artist tags.

You might repeat these steps for several files. These steps will tell you whether Performer and Mixed Artists tag values are present in your files.

When you import files into MC, it will not make use of tags that don't correspond to already define library fields.  Before you import files that have unusual tag values that you want to use, check to see if MC has  corresponding fields defined.  If there are not corresponding fields defined, you can define new  fields yourself.

Here is a process you can follow to see whether a field is defined:

1. Go to the "manage library fields" dialog (Click on Tools/Options/Library & Folders/Manage library fields.)

2. You will use the list of fields on the left side of the dialog wondow.  First make sure that the control above the list says "Show all fields".

3. Scroll down looking for "Performer" and "Mixed artists" fields.  Be alert for spelling differences.

4. If you don't see these fields in the list, click on "Add new field" to define suitable fields.

Once you have the fields defined in MC, you can fill those fields from tag values in the files. 

1. Select one or a few files.  Right click on them, select "Library tools" from the context menu that appears and then select "Update Library from tags".

2. Examine the resulting database field values in the tag window.

Be aware that this command will replace database values with values in the file tags for all fields.

Once you are comfortable with this process, you can repeat it selecting more files.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up