INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is listening to what ?  (Read 3322 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
Who is listening to what ?
« on: February 22, 2002, 01:55:27 pm »

Just out of curiosity I would like to know what others are listening to and how many files you have :

I'm listening most of the time to 80's music (must be stuck in the eighties), I have about 7.000 MP3's where about 70% is 80's music.
The rest is current hitparade music and lots of Funk (I'm the biggest fan of Prince, have about 600 mp3's of him)
I do not listen anymore to CD's, always via the PC or via my NEO Jukebox (20GB MP3 jukebox) that I can take with me as a walkman or plugin into my car.

What about you ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
RE:Who is listening to what ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 01:58:43 pm »

2500 files. Around 60% Classic Rock (some 60's, mostly 70's, and some 80's) and Smooth Jazz - Paul Hardcastle is playing at the moment.
Namaste,
John

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 02:07:07 pm »

>>I'm the biggest fan of Prince, have about 600 mp3's of him
he only has about 5 good ones
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mset68

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 02:11:37 pm »

i have about 6,000 files. a lot of classic rock, a lot of stevie wonder, eurythmics, prince, some classical, all beatles.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 02:13:21 pm »

About 3500 MP3s, rock, classical, house, dance, hip-hop, acid-jazz.  I make a lot of CDs too, although I now normally use MixMeister Pro to do this, instead of MJ.  

I also have a Nomad Jukebox 20g for the car (which I don't like), and a Nomad IIMG for the gym.

I still listen to CDs all the time, because I love the way my hi-fi sounds.  I love the idea of having access to my MP3s in the living room with the Hi-Fi, but haven't found a satisfactory way to do this yet.

Ny40Male

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 02:18:19 pm »

9800 anything from 10,000 Maniacs to ZZ Top
and everything in between
including for the old folks
Andy Williams & Glenn Miller

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 02:22:38 pm »

DJ Shadow, Pedro the Lion, Damien Jurado, classic rock (zep, tull, ccr, jimi, yes, supertramp...), tortoise, lauren hill, phish, the clash, mogwai, jeff buckley, bill evans, coltrane...

My mp3 collection is starting to rival my CDs.  wish i had a hard drive to record my cds onto.  my laptop is wired through the stereo.  dang, does music ever rule.

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2002, 02:56:13 pm »

jazz/rock, Lee Ritenour, Casiopea, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Salsa, latin, Ruben Gonzales (which JimH taught me to love),
Madonna, Buddhist tempel music, World music, Ambient, 80's funk and pop, - and everything that Elvis Presley recorded.

All in MPC

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2002, 03:02:05 pm »

Listening to dinner cooking, fire popping, and System band from Haiti.  Howling great music!

xstatic,
Try also Omaro Portuondo, Afro-Cuban All Stars, and Compay Segundo.  They're part of the same Buena Vista Social Club group.  On my server, call grey on Music01.

Ibraham Ferrer also is part of the same group.  Spelling may be wrong.  I'll convert some to mp3 and put it on the server.

There is a wonderful video/DVD of the group and how they came together again.  Also called Buena Vista Social Club.  Amazon would have more info.  Well worth the $20.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

hvy duty

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2002, 03:07:00 pm »

I am outnumbered  All country 4200  except Elvis (533) have George Jones one of the best (596) Ray Price And Marty Robbins awesome.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2002, 03:20:21 pm »

I like to Put My Ear Up To My Beer Mug And Hear The Little Bubbles

Sometimes you get to hear a big one pop
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JeffT

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2002, 04:04:42 pm »

About 9200 songs.  27 Genres.  Biggest percentage in Jazz, Blues, General Rock, Electronic, Techno, and New Age.  I pretty much use MJ to listen to the music on the main machine.  But I built a media server which is what I use to listen to music in the rest of the house.  I export MJ's database into MySQL and use a PHP program to build custom Playlists which are played throughout the house.  I use Microsft's Media server to do the media serving.  Linux Apache for the web server.  Best of all worlds.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2002, 04:08:11 pm »

about 4000 mp3 the vast majority Italian rock, blues and pop. My favorites are: Zucchero, Litfiba, Pino Daniele, Negrita, Piero Pelu', Carmen Consoli, Jovanotti. Also big on Le Cirque du Soleil and Agricantus

Claudio

IQ10

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2002, 04:46:44 pm »

I don't listen to music.  Gives me a headache.  Mostly just like to watch .

[former member]
Football fan (he he)

MHorton

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2002, 06:32:38 pm »

pop, 2500 or so

1963-1966: the Beatles, the Bobby Fuller Four, the Byrds, the Turtles, the Left Banke, the Dave Clark Five, the Searchers, Four Jacks and a Jill, the Seekers, Herman's Hermits, Monkees, the Outsiders, Them, the Yardbirds, Peter & Gordon, Petula Clark, the Supremes, Dusty Springfield, the Guess Who, the Kinks, the Vogues, We Five, the Who and the Zombies, for example.

80s to present: Trash Can Sinatras, the Railway Children, Ghost of an American Airman, the Chills, the Bats, the Church, the Bible, Lloyd Cole, Prefab Sprout, Grapes of Wrath, Steve Kilbey, Beautiful South, Belle & Sebastian, Blab Happy, Cinerama, the Connells, David Steinhart, drive, Echo & the Bunneymen, Julian Cope, the Cure, the Smiths, the Go-Betweens, the Housemartins, Ivy, Jack Frost, Josh Joplin Group, Ladybug Transistor, House Of Love, Oysterband, Spirit of the West, Lick the Tins, Midnight Oil, Jesus & Mary Chain, the Ocean Blue, the Lucy Show, the Orange Peels, Pete Yorn, Placebo, Pop Art, the Silencers, Smart Brown Handbag, the Steinbecks, the Apartments, Death Cab For Cutie, the Stone Roses, the Dylans, the Mock Turtles, Third Eye Blind and Tommy Keene to name a few.

Jazzwolf

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2002, 06:43:49 pm »

>>There is a wonderful video/DVD of the group and how they came together again. Also called Buena Vista Social Club. Amazon would have more info. Well worth the $20.<<

Jim, I picked up the DVD last month at Media Play for 13.99. Never get tired of watching that.. just to see Ibrahim singing "Candela" .. What a GREAT performance!

Currently I'm listening to Sonny Rollins "|PLS|3".. the cat is almost 70 years old and to hear him playing on "What a difference a day makes" just makes you glad he is still alive and playing in top form

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2002, 09:22:37 pm »

8400|PLS| files, mostly jazz, blues, very early r&b, some show and cabaret, comedy.....Miles, Coltrane, Tristano, Evans, Mehldau, female vocalists (dinah, anita, Karrin, Jackie & Roy), Wynonie Harris, Blakey, Clifford Brown, Stitt, Rollins, Bob & Ray (incredible riffs - got to be hard-wired a little different), Chet Baker, you name it. Pretty deep book, emphasis on Late swing, early bebop and hard bop from the 50s/60s.

Listening to Evans and Jim Hall's 'Dream Gypsy'. Unreal progressions. Cat hears things that still make me shake my head even though I've played this file 100s of times. Tristano next - same thing. Extra-terrestial harmonic sense. And the unison sax choruses on Wow. then Bird and Koko, the Messengers/Donaldson-Brown and Night In Tunisia.

HTH

pete

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2002, 10:42:43 pm »

Have very mixed collection of about 10000 from Miles Davis to Cirque du Soleil, Shadows to Ottmar Leibert and John Scofield, etc etc.

re female vocal favourites such as Karrin Allyson, Stacey Kent, Jane Duboc, Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, etc....where are the guys with similar style and quality.  Any suggestions ?  John Pizzarelli ??, Kurt Elling ??. Mark Murphy ?

zevele1

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2002, 12:15:03 am »

Around 10.000 songs,Allways changing.punk,alt country,psy,garage,neo psy,neo garage,beat and many more styles,but no prog,jazz-rock,funk and danse.Computer plug on stereo.I still use a lot the stereo cause i have and i still buy a lot of vinyl
Listening to silence now.Spent the nigth at israeli punk festival.From 6 in evening until 5 in the morning

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2002, 01:06:20 am »

Pete - funny you shld ask. So does my wife.  Not really much I know of beyond yr list. Kevin Mahogany maybe. Pizzarelli's just a goof, like Connick, Elling's an acquired taste. James Williams had a group w/him called ICU - Miles Griffith and Roger Holland - did some interesting stuff, but they're gone. Will check out Jabe Duboc - missed her. Love Stacey Kent - great book.

HTH

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2002, 04:16:04 am »

Guess I must be the old guy. I love old rock and roll and I don't believe they made nothing but noise after 1964. I also love real country and I don't believe they have made any real country since the 80's I also have a lot of the World War II stuff in fact I like anything old including Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Tex Ritter, Bing Crosby, Hank Williams Senior, Hank Thompson, Carter Family, Amdrews Sisters Guy Lombardo, more big band etc.

Have over 2500 files and always looking to collect more of the old stuff.
deerhunter

zevele1

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2002, 05:08:36 am »

Rockabilly is just GREAT music.Did you have a try to Guy Clark,David Allan Coe,Townes Van Zandt?
Kind of Country with a big C.Not roots,sure but really good

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2002, 10:03:43 am »

|PLS|- 3k mp3's

50's/60's pop, 60's/70's rock, prog rock (Yes, ELP, Santana, Hendrix, Refugee, etc), Disco, Jazz Vocals.....oh yeah, and the |PLS|- 500 modern Alternative & Dance numbers my daughter's sneaked onto the machine....

My Favourites:
Pop Band: The Beatles
Album: Ambrosia - Somewhere I've Never Travelled...brilliant stuff!!
Vocal Group: Manhattan Transfer
Rock Group: Wishbone Ash
Guitarist: Hendrix
Bass Player: Chris Squire
Keyboard: Chick Corea & Patrick Moraz (Refugee/Yes)
Drummer: Anyone but Keith Moon
Vocalist: Alice Cooper & Paul Rogers
Character: John Lennon
Movie: Singing In The Rain!

Eclectic Extreme!!!

I also really enjoy some of the bass samples (and a few of the songs as well) on the latest dance/trance/house material....I played bass in a rock band until fairly recently.

Ilmar

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2002, 12:10:09 pm »

I must be even older yet!

About 30,000 - Gothic, Baroque, Classical, Opera, Jazz, New Age, Rock and Pop from 1950 - 2002..
MJ is the only jukebox that handle the organisation....

Easier to mention my dislikes Next Page Punk, Grunge, Garage, Jungle, House, Deranged, Serial, and Polkas

Ilmar

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2002, 12:25:30 pm »

About 5000 files as of today (mp3, ape, mpc) I have very eclectic tastes from Albinoni to ZZ Top.
Lot of Rock, I'm an old Rolling Stones fan (377 files), Lot of R'n B and Soul music (Temptations/ M. Gaye)
I also dig Jazz, New age and relaxing music and also lot of classical.
Plus I like tropical/african dance music: Zouk, reggae, socca, soukouss, high life !

Currently Listening : Chick Corea / My Spanish Heart (one of my fav)
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Hawk

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2002, 01:01:27 pm »

I am a heavy metal freak. Since 1976. I love most of the genre. From Journey to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, Testament, Slayer, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Immortal, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Anacrusis and Children Of Bodom. Well you get the picture. About 3500 files and growing fast! Next Page

ErnieG

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2002, 04:31:37 pm »

Christian Contemporary, Worship, and Praise

IQ10

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2002, 06:10:37 pm »

JimH, you changed what I posted, above, without attribution.  By removing the pun to the football term INTERCEPT, you destroy the light spirited purpose of the post.  I would appreciate it if upon review you could leave the post intake.  Otherwise delete the whole thing.

I don't listen to music. Gives me a headache. Mostly just like to watch INTERCEPT.

[former member]
Football fan (he he)

Chico

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2002, 06:26:29 pm »

The list is endess...  Well, maybe not endless, but long!
Lots of Blues, Classic Rock, Soul, Country, Classical, Polka..  OOPS!  Umm  No polka... (got carried away)
Only have about 4000 MP3s, but the list is growing.

Trelane

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2002, 11:24:19 pm »

700 MPC files (I'm in the process or encoding my entire collection... I'm lazy). 85% metal, 10% Primus, 5% whatever else.

Geoff

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2002, 12:56:02 am »

Anything to do with blues.  Only just started encoding but have 1600 cds
with 22,428 tracks so I've got a long way to go.
The aim at this stage is to at least encode the best track from each cd.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2002, 09:17:00 pm »

Thank you all for sharing this information.

Enjoy your music collection
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

zevele1

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2002, 10:12:50 pm »

hawk
You may like Salem-You can get many songs at mp3.com  Salem  Israel

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2002, 06:14:27 am »

I have about 3500 mp3/apes.

Lately, I've only been listening to two of them.

Nature Recordings Vol. VIII : Voices of the Sea - Point Pinos Buoy Horn.apl
Nature Recordings Vol. VIII : Voices of the Sea - Songs of the Humpback Whale.apl

I haven't had time to listen to anything else, and these two make great sleeping music.

Now if I can only get somebody to record the sounds of the lake I dove yesterday... Have any of you ever heard a frozen lake sing as the sun is coming up? It's really an amazing sound. Next Page

But other than that... I really can't classify my music collection. It's mostly classic rock with a little bit of everything else thrown into the mix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up