INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo feature request--toggle/change views  (Read 900 times)

john_kane

• Junior Woodchuck
Gizmo feature request--toggle/change views
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:54:46 am »

I'd like to put in a request for gizmo, so that you can change/toggle the views of the connected server.  Unless I'm missing it, I don't think this is possible today without navigating out of theater view via the gizmo theatre remote mode.

For my HTPC, I typically run in Theater View 24/7. For maintenance/configuration etc., I remote login to the htpc using Logmein or windows terminal etc.  This usually crashes MC ('directx lost' or something like that). I have to terminate the mc and jrweb processes and restart.  I can understand the display drivers have trouble with the remoted virtual screen.  MC doesn't crash in other MC views though, so I'd like to be able to change views using Gizmo.  This would let me pop out of theater view and remote login.  After I'm done, I can remote logout and switch back to theater view.

The only way to get out of theater mode now with gizmo is to go into theatre view remote, and navigate out screen by screen.   I don't always have my HTPC wireless keyboard and/or mouse out to use a keyboard shortcut to change modes.  I also don't always have access to the TV screen at the time (someone else may be watching TV while I am logged into the HTPC).  Being able to change he views directly from gizmo would make this an easy process.

apostos

• World Citizen
Re: Gizmo feature request--toggle/change views
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:13 am »

I have the same usage scenario and used to have the same problem when accessing my HTPC via RDP. The error I used to get was ‘Error drawing using Direct3D – (device lost)’.

My solution to the problem at that time was to...

"To gain access to MC from the screen with the error message, I typically ALT-TAB to bring up the desktop, access the (now visible) taskbar, right click the MC 18 icon and select ‘Close window’ from the menu. MC then presents itself to me in Standard View and I am able to use the program normally. And I’m able to switch views CTRL-1/CTRL-4  without incident from then on."

Soon after I found that by editing the RDP settings I was able to log into my HTPC (even though it's in Theatre Mode) and proceed from there.

On the 'Experience' tab I deselected all the 'Performance' checkboxes.

This method has worked (for me) from Windows 7 Pro through to my current OS, Windows 8.1 Pro.

You may of already attempted the above, but in case you haven't... give it a shot.

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Gizmo feature request--toggle/change views
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:13:07 pm »

I get around this by using VNC instead of RDP. Then I can actually use theater view itself from my tablet or laptop. I still haven't decided whether I prefer using Gizmo or theater view via VNC for playing on the server from my tablet, so I use both. 

VNC isn't doesn't hook in to Windows through propietary routines the way RDP does, so it's not as fast and/or lower visual quality (still plenty good enough though) but there are other gains I really like -- most notably that you can have concurrent sessions all tracking the same mouse movement. So it's more unified that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up