INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI and Acourate  (Read 3010 times)

ronkupper

• Recent member
HDMI and Acourate
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:35:54 pm »

Hello,

New to JRiver and this community  :)

I'm researching into room correction (which is what brought me here) and am leaning towards using JRiver with Acourate.

I've read that Acourate need the same ASIO device for recording and playback, does this true for only the room analyzing process or also for regular playback afterwards?

Wanted to ask and be sure as I use (and wish to keep using) HDMI from the computer to the receiver.

To phrase the question in a more orderly fashion, Is it possible to -
1. Prepare the filters with Acourate using a dedicated soundcard and MIC (I was thinking of the Tascam US144mkII and the calibrated Behringer ECM8000 which Acourate offers. Other suggestions are welcome)

2. Load the filters into JRiver's convolution engine

3. Keep using HDMI (which is a different soundcard) as the HTPC's output for day to day playback with the convolution filters in JRiver as the media center.

Should it work or am I thinking about it wrong?
Even if possible, will the filters prepared using one soundcard be correctly applied with another?

Current Setup:
HTPC --> HDMI --> Receiver -->  Analog (PL) Left & Right --> Power Amp --> Front Speakers
                                          |--> Surround Speakers
                                          |--> Powered (Active) Subwoofer
                                          |--> TV

Any suggestion and recommendation would be appreciated!  

Thanks,
Ron
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDMI and Acourate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »

I think the point is that you measure and correct the signal chain you are going to listen through not some other setup. I understand this is doable but I don't know exactly what the method is. I know this because I asked Uli of it it could be done (I bought a new audio device instead though).

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »

You only need a low latency signal processor-mic input signal chain during room measurements. This does in practice mean a D/A input/output device (i.e. one with both analog ins and outs on the same device, timed by the same clock and with very low in/out latency). During playback you only need the output channels. This means that you can very well do your room measurements with one audio device (but again, both in/out) and playback with a second device (i.e. separate DAC with outputs only).

Regarding your desire to use HDMI - I would investigate that in more depth if I was you. Just to make sure you are actually able to do Convolution DSP and then bitstream through HDMI. Only saying that because I do not know if it is possible and because I myself and others I know of do not bitstream the convoluted signal, but send the audio stream to a dedicated DAC and then into power amplifiers directly. Or have some analog pre-amp in between.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:29:09 am »

Regarding your desire to use HDMI - I would investigate that in more depth if I was you. Just to make sure you are actually able to do Convolution DSP and then bitstream through HDMI.
I think this would be pcm over hdmi with the processor in a direct mode wouldn't it?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:13 am »

I think this would be pcm over hdmi with the processor in a direct mode wouldn't it?

My experience is limited to PC->DAC->analog out to amps. What you write makes sense, but you would need someone else than me to confirm it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:22 am »

I've read that Acourate need the same ASIO device for recording and playback, does this true for only the room analyzing process or also for regular playback afterwards?
It will work fine to use the Tascam for measurements and HDMI to the receiver for playback. You will need to make sure you have any DSP in the receiver turned off like distance/level settings and bass management. All speakers should be set to large.

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:59:52 am »

Hello Guys,

Thank you very much for your replies.
The subject is getting much clearer regarding what can and cannot be done.

Thanks,
Ron
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full
Pages: [1]   Go Up