INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI and Asus Xonar STX  (Read 5394 times)

wayne13

• Recent member
WASAPI and Asus Xonar STX
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:08 pm »

First post.  I usually lurk, as I usually use forums to answer question/problems I have.  I usually find my answer, so it's actually rare for me to post.

That being said, I USED to use a Xonar STX for spdif out to my Benchmark HDR.  I have seen various information tidbits in the forum and wiki that it was believed that when using WASAPI to output to the STX, the output is resampled to whatever the Asus Control Panel is set to - even if the Control Panel is not loaded.

I have switched to ASIO over asynch usb, but wanted to test this belief before I removed it from my computer.  I have a Tascam US-366 interface that indicates the bit rate and sample rate being input through its digital in (coax or optical).

The connections were as follows:

JRiver/Media PC/Xonar STX--->Tascam (tried both coax & optical)--->Laptop that I use w/Tascam (through usb)

MC19 was set to pass without resampling, etc., and various files were played.  The only music files I have are 16/44.1 and 24/96 (I never got any 24/192 files because the Benchmark resamples EVERYTHING to 110khz so 192 would end up downsampled), but I also have test signals from 16/44.1 through 24/192.

Playing all samples through JRiver using WASAPI, the Tascam panel always showed the correct sample rate - THERE WAS NO RESAMPLING.

This was WITH THE "HF" (HIFI) FUNCTION ACTIVE in the Asus Control Panel, and it was regardless of whatever the little box above the PCM checkbox was set at (where you can 'set' the sample rate to use).  This was also regardless of whether the Panel was active/loaded or not.  I assume it's because the HF function takes the panel control out of the equation (Asus' information is mediocre at best).

I did NOT test any other setting on the Asus Panel, as I just wanted to test if resampling did occur using WASAPI on the STX.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: WASAPI and Asus Xonar STX
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »

Good testing. However, digital audio output is handled differently from analog audio by sound cards/audio devices. It is rare that digital output will change the bitdepth or sample rate that is received by the software. So, your conclusions on the digital side do not necessarily hold true when using the Essence STX for analog output. There is a discussion about analog output in this thread:  WASAPI, Asus Xonar cards and resampling.

By the way, I have an Asus Xonar ST and the Tascam US-366.  :)

wayne13

• Recent member
Re: WASAPI and Asus Xonar STX
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:45:58 pm »

Sorry, I did not see that the references to the Xonar resampling via WASAPI  was in terms of the analog section.  The posts I read mentioned the resampling, but did not specifically mention it was referring to the internal pass through from the digital to analog section of the Xonar, I therefore thought it was referring to all instances, including digital out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up