INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume keep adjusting  (Read 5867 times)

umarot

• Recent member
Volume keep adjusting
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:24 am »

Hi,

I have been noticing this that when ever a song starts with vocals its pretty loud but as soon music jumps in the volume adjust itself to a very noticeable decrease, is there anything I did wrong in DSP or may be playback??

By the way I have NAD D1050 DAC from which XLR to Rokit 8 and RCA to WOO WA3 amp.

Thanks for the help in advance.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Volume keep adjusting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:17 pm »

Hi,

I have been noticing this that when ever a song starts with vocals its pretty loud but as soon music jumps in the volume adjust itself to a very noticeable decrease, is there anything I did wrong in DSP or may be playback??

By the way I have NAD D1050 DAC from which XLR to Rokit 8 and RCA to WOO WA3 amp.

Thanks for the help in advance.

What you're describing sounds like clip protection is engaging.  Do you use any DSP that boosts volume (i.e. equalizer with positive gain, etc.)?  If you use DSP that boosts volume, it will potentially drive the output into clipping, and that's why JRiver includes a clip protection function to prevent this from happening.  You can confirm that this is happening by watching the audio path dialog window while this phenomenon is happening.  It should say if clip protection is engaging.

If this is your problem, here are some ways to fix it: 

1) Change your DSP settings so there is no net gain; if you want to boost some frequencies, turn the whole channel down by the same amount to avoid clipping.  In the graphic equalizer, you can do this by turning down the "pre-amp" slider.  In the parametric equalizer, you can do this by using the "adjust the volume" filter.

2) Use internal volume and set a max volume.  Using internal volume gives JRiver much more headroom for DSP; if you use internal volume and set a maximum volume lower than 100%, you can help prevent this from happening.  If you turn on the volume leveling feature, that will also usually provide significant additional headroom, especially in combination with internal volume.

If you can post what kind of DSP you're using, I can provide more specific advice.

umarot

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »

Thanks, yeah in audio path I have -10 db clip protection.
And im using output with all sample rate ipscale to 192khz, volume level is on, peak level normalizer, parametric equalizer, effect of living room (3 I dont get what this number does??) None for virtul sub and medium surround also room correction. I use internal volume calibrated 76 for 0db and system volume is 100%
 And for headphone zone I have only output same as above with Night level, graphic equalizer which is very clpse to flat. Effect studio again 3 which I dont know what this number does??

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:03 pm »

Thanks, yeah in audio path I have -10 db clip protection.
And im using output with all sample rate ipscale to 192khz, volume level is on, peak level normalizer, parametric equalizer, effect of living room (3 I dont get what this number does??) None for virtul sub and medium surround also room correction. I use internal volume calibrated 76 for 0db and system volume is 100%

First step, turn off peak level normalization, and you should have much better results.  Peak level normalization tries to maximize volume output, so that almost any gain you add will push you over.  You may also want to recalibrate after disabling peak level normalization, as I'm not sure how that affects calibration clips.

Also you don't mention what your parametric equalizer settings are; do any of the filters apply gain?  If so, try turning down the volume level in parametric equalizer using the adjust the volume filter.

umarot

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:42 pm »

I use parametric eq for my Stereo and EQ for Headphones.

what does this number do next environment??

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:12:34 pm »

I use parametric eq for my Stereo and EQ for Headphones.

what does this number do next environment??

Your parametric EQ settings are why you're seeing clip protection engaged.  Shelving filters stacked like that (depending on the Q) are probably giving you close to 16 dB of boost on the bottom end.  You either need to add an adjust the volume filter with gain set to -16dB, or try turning off peak level normalization or both.

I don't know what the number in the environment effect is; I'm guessing it's a measure of the intensity of the effect (more is higher), but that's really a guess.  That's almost certainly not what's causing you to clip though, your PEQ settings plus peak level normalize are almost certainly what's causing you to clip.

umarot

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:23:53 pm »

Thanks it worked.. Thanks a million:))
Pages: [1]   Go Up