INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used to XBMC, struggling with untagged files  (Read 2109 times)

|Tch0rT|

• Recent member
Used to XBMC, struggling with untagged files
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:13:42 am »

Hello,

I'm new to JRiver and trying out the trial. I've got my main archive of Movies, TV Shows, and Music imported nicely. However I have some Music and Misc TV Shows that I do not care to add to my main archive nor really want to go through the process of tagging them and grabbing artwork etc.

Starting with Movies/TV Shows with XBMC I had Movies, TV Shows, and Videos (I think separating things out this way was skin specific). Movies and TV Shows would bring me to my main Library. Under Videos I could get into the file view and watch things I don't need to be tagged like AV Testing files, Documentaries, Music Videos, and temporary TV Shows.

Music was similar, I had my main set that's properly tagged. I would switch to the Library view for properly tagged music. I switched to File view for stuff I don't care as much about or worrying about proper tags and artwork. The file name gave me all the info I needed to know.

How do I do this with JRiver? Theater View will be the main view since I use a Harmony Remote 99.9% of the time. I know there's an Explorer option in Theater View but I don't want all the directories and drives to be able to be accessed in the Theater view.

I see you can make multiple libraries. Is it possible to switch between the libraries in Theater View?

Thanks!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Used to XBMC, struggling with untagged files
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:00 am »

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem but if you don't import files to the MC library you can either play media to MC via Explorer internally to MC or externally.

Internally, navigate to Drives & Devices > Explorer > ... [over to you]

Honestly though, you miss out on 100s of MC-horsepower units if you don't make use of the library but each to their own.

Hope that helps ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:40:05 am »

You can import them in the MC library and then setup a separate view for those which shows the file names for example, so you don't need proper tags on them.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

|Tch0rT|

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:43:43 am »

I'll try to explain it better.

I have folders such as:

Movies (this has my tagged library of movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Europa Report, etc)
TV Shows (this has my tagged library of TV Shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, Game of Thrones, etc)
Videos (this has untagged shows (Almost Human, CSI, and Law & Order. Also documentaries like Random.Egypt.BBC.Documentary.MVgroup.avi), My music videos, my wife's music videos, and AV Testing files)

I've already imported my Movies and TV Shows just fine but when I try to add a view or something for my untagged videos JRiver wants to put Random.Egypt.BBC.Documentary.MVgroup.avi or Black_Clipping.avi right next to Game of Thrones. I don't want it like that. I've seen the Explorer view but I don't want access to the entire PC, I just want access to my folder of untagged video files. Also a similarly with music. I tried editing Disk with the file path to the directory I want in the Theater View Options but it won't work. :/

|Tch0rT|

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:30:18 am »

You can import them in the MC library and then setup a separate view for those which shows the file names for example, so you don't need proper tags on them.

Can you explain how to do this? When I add a new view it just lists all my tagged videos all over again.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:26 am »

You can setup filters on views to only show files from certain directories, for example.
When you edit a theater view, there is a button "Set rules for file display", and you can set something up with "Filename (Path) starts with .... " etc.

Hope that works for you, otherwise you can also filter on numerous other factors.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

|Tch0rT|

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:03:22 am »

Ah ok! I think I got it now. Thanks!  ;D

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:01 am »

Sounds like you could use some file name / properties tidy up to help MC help you.

Have a look here for some thoughts:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86369.0
where I mention an external, 3rd party software but when I made comments in the above link I'd overlooked this bit of good advice:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up