INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Genres' in TV Guide: Only 'others' appear  (Read 2246 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
'Genres' in TV Guide: Only 'others' appear
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »

Hi JRiver-team,

I'm not quite sure how the 'Genre'-menu works in the TV Guide in Theatre View but all broadcasts are categorized as 'others'. I looked up a random program in the XMLTV-file and found these fields:

<category lang="EN">entertainment</category>
<category lang="EN">serie</category>

but JRiver does not seem to look this info up... or is it a feature which must be set at the user end?

Best regards,
Mikkel

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: 'Genres' in TV Guide: Only 'others' appear
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:14 pm »

Which method do you use for guide data?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:36:15 am »

I use xmltv.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:06:48 am »

For xmltv we use a hard-coded list of genres because there is no way of knowing what words appear as a "Category".  "entertainment" and "serie" are not among the list of known genres.  That is probably why the show was tagged as "other".

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:53 am »

I see. My problem is if I use the recommended method to get the EPG from the DVB-C signal a few channels are missing.
I'm unsure whether that is the provider's fault or JRiver. Will make a new thread about it in the TV section of the forum.

EDIT 1: Tried mc2xml and I still have channels missing
EDIT 2: Is using XMLTV the reason why movies are tagged incorrectly (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87612.0)?

Best regards,
Mikkel

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:29 am »

I see. My problem is if I use the recommended method to get the EPG from the DVB-C signal a few channels are missing.
I'm unsure whether that is the provider's fault or JRiver. Will make a new thread about it in the TV section of the forum.

If you can email me a copy of your MC Library backup, I will try figuring out what the problem is.  Let me know data for which channels are missing.

EDIT 2: Is using XMLTV the reason why movies are tagged incorrectly (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87612.0)?

The quality of data is important.  In that (Live and let Die) example, in my opinion, what they put in sub-title tag should be in description (desc) tag.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:30:17 am »

Will do so later tonight hopefully.

Got an idea, though: would it be an option to let the mapping of XMLTV fields be customizable to the JRiver tags at the user-end? This would make it possible for the (advanced) user to correct these issues, which may only be applicable to a specific language or source.

EDIT: Btw, why not just use all 'Category lang' fields?

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:01 am »

Here is my library backup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1lmvap723sb6t2/MC%20Library%20Backup%20%28Main%20Library%20-%202014-02-23%29.zip

The channels missing are DR3 and DK4.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »

I tested EPG loading for your location.  Indeed, there are a few channels missing from downloaded data.

Channels DR3 and Fyn HD do not appear in the channels list.  Channels DR K and DR Ram do appear in the list of channels, but currently there are no programs associated with them. 

There are more than 100 channels in the list, I wonder if DR3 and Fyn HD are just named differently?  I do not know about Denmark, but here in the USA this is quite common.  For example, the local NBC affiliate is named "NBC5" but its call sign is "WMAQ".  When downloading EPG data, the name "WMAQ" is used.  As a user, we have to know "WMAQ" is the same as "NBC5".

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:48:01 pm »

I don't think they are named differently. Scrolling through the list of channels I don't see anything that match, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:45 pm »

Then this is a problem of the data source.  They just do not have the data for those channels. This is an unfortunate situation with EPG data.  You get what the provider give you.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »

Then this is a problem of the data source.  They just do not have the data for those channels. This is an unfortunate situation with EPG data.  You get what the provider give you.

Indeed, strange thing is that DVBVIEWER finds data for all channels in the DVB-C stream  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up