INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: files disappeared  (Read 1045 times)

wildcrafter

• Recent member
files disappeared
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:08:56 pm »

I had just ripped some new CD's into Media Center 19. I went back and two of five had disappeared. Empty folders were all that was left in Windows 7. I ripped them again and went back into Recent Albums and two of my most recent downloads from HD Tracks had vanished. All that is left in the computer are the PDF files for the art. How do I get them back?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: files disappeared
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »

Media Center does not automatically move files.  Assuming you're not leaving out a substantial number of intervening steps, something else is moving them, or your filesystem is horribly broken.

Check the disk for corruption:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

If chkdsk finds all sorts of errors, then you may have larger issues.  If that comes back clean, then search for them in Windows Explorer and find out where they're being moved.  That might give you a clue as to what application is moving them.

iTunes does automatically reorganize files, so it could be iTunes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »

Check the disk for corruption:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

If chkdsk finds all sorts of errors, then you may have larger issues.

As coincidence would have, earlier this week I discovered that I couldn't access a folder in one of my music directories.

Ran chkdsk and I was back on an even keel in no time.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

iTunes does automatically reorganize files, so it could be iTunes.

+ 1 on this.

For me
  • 1st action was to stop i-tunes from organising the files
  • 2nd action was to create a 2nd respository of audio files for itunes to use.  I did this as individual files (tracks) would still go missing.  I don't believe it was MC doing this, rather itunes (and it took me a couple of months to notice the issue).  Separating the two stopped it (I'm not aware of anyone else having this issue, but apple / itunes forums had reports of files going missing (along the lines of itunes had detected something 'wrong' with them & removed them without notification to the user).

When creating the 2nd repository I took the opportunity to re-rip everyhting I had as lossless & configured MC to use it

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up