INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using an Android Mini PC as an HTPC?  (Read 2016 times)

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Anyone using an Android Mini PC as an HTPC?
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »

Was just reading up on XMBC's android build and looking at AMP's like the Minix Neo.  If Gizmo could play 1080p video and lossless audio, that might be a pretty cheap and reliable alternative for other rooms.  Anyone have any experience with one?

scrags

• Recent member
Re: Anyone using an Android Mini PC as an HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:39 pm »

I have the Noe X7, and have been using it for a while now. Gizmo on it is OK, The audio works fine but i cant for the life of me get the Video streaming to work. I have found that Plex is a better alternative to Gizmo for Video playback. Gizmo really has a long way to go to match the kind of polish of the Plex app.

Another setup i have been playing with of late is the Mediabrowser app. I use Mediabrowser 3 on my HTPC and have found that this is a quite solid addition. I am yet to find a single backend database and frontend combo that provides a rich user interface (that works with both touch and a remote), is simple to use, and can control multiple DLNA rendereres. I really think that JRiver has the backend database sorted, and with the Zone control features it has the edge here, but it just needs some time to mature on the frontend side. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:42 pm »

Make sure you have the latest versions of Gizmo and MC.  Video should work.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:20 pm »

JRiver CEO Elect

scrags

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:24:33 pm »

yah, I have checked that. I have even played with the cache in the options, as i have read that it can help.

10 tracks - audio takes about 1 min to start, No Video
5 tracks - audio starts abit faster, No Video
1 track - audio starts faster again, No Video
Disabled seems to fix the audio ie it starts within a few seconds, but not the video.

its funny it works fine from my phone, no issues. even my Nexus 7 works now. just on the X7 that i have issues.

connersw

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:03:54 am »

You could also try a NUC - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87617.0

Thanks jmone--I have read that thread.  I've actually built a barebones PC using an Atom 2700.  Pretty similar to your NUC; different architecture and slightly less processing power, but close enough.  I was able to build the whole thing with all new hardware for < $200US shipped to my door.  It works for my needs (basement HTPC for the kids), but it is a bit sluggish.

I thought using Android with Gizmo might be a bit snappier, plus it's everything all in one for < $100US.  Of course you couldn't control Gizmo from Gizmo though, so you would need to use some sort of remote.  Add Chromecast support to Gizmo (with lossless audio and 1080p video), and that is a $35US option, controlled from your phone or tablet, that could not be beat:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87254.0   

Even saw this cool little $10 mod that would allow you to send audio only to speakers anywhere:  http://youtu.be/oRM7Vqej9s8  Take that Sonos. 

Just need Gizmo to up its game a bit.

scrags:  The cache issues really only effect audio, not video.  Have you tried enabling HTTP Live Streaming?  In Gizmo, Settings -> Options -> Check Use HTTP Live Streaming. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up