INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions and issues encountered with first dabble with video on JRiver  (Read 3305 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Howdy,

I wonder if I can get some help on a couple of things.  This is my first play with video and JRiver.

Setup: I use an iPad to control a pc for which the only display is my plasma tv connected to a Theta Digital Casablanca III HD processor via HDMI.  The PC is connected to the Theta CB via HDMI.  The PC does not have a mouse now keyboard.  I administer the PC via Teamviewer or RDP on the iPad. I use JRemote to control content playback.

The questions:

1. How to get around the pop up that displays on the PC when one exits Teamviewer?

If I access the player via RDP I end up with a Windows login page on my display when I exit RDP.  No good. If I access via Teamviewer and then exit I get a message on the display saying this was a sponsored free session of Teamviewer blah blah blah. To remove the pop-up one must hit ok.  To hit ok I need to log back in via Teamviewer - a circular situation. I could leave the Teamviewer session running but eventually the iPad terminates the session mid movie which is a pain.

2. If I edit a number of the "expert" settings for madVR, is it still correct to select Video Mode: Red October HQ in General Video Settings or is it meant to be Custom?

3. I set the PC up to be able to access the folders on my main home Mac.  I have imported a folder of movies into my JRiver library. There are two issues with in relation to these "imported" movies.

(a) In contrast to the movies that are on the PC drive, I don't get any thumbnails or any description of the movie in the JRiver library. Why not?

(b) And this I find weird, when playing these files back I do not get a maximum-sized image on my 1920x1080 plasma display - I get an image with black borders not just on the top and bottom for letter boxing but also on the left and the right.  This does not happen for a file on the PC's drive. (The files are folders of .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files.)

4.  I note that when madVR does colourspace conversions (from SMPTE to Rec.709) it seems to account for the gamma to which the display has been calibrated.  What if the display has been calibrated to BT.1886? This is not selectable as an option in madVR's expert settings.

5.  The movies generally have AC3 audio (NTSC DVD disks). My Casablanca reports that it receives a multichannel LPCM signal instead of AC3.  Why?  Can have the audio be AC3 and let the CB do the audio decoding?

Hopefully those questions make sense.  I appreciate the help.

Regards

Steve

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Ok 20 reads and no responses.  I've managed to narrow down some answers.  Re:

1. I will try RealVNC
4. From the developer of MadVR "as long as you neither enable gamma processing in the madVR settings nor use the 3dlut calibration functionality, the gamma curve your display is calibrated to doesn't really matter to madVR. If you tell madVR that your display is already calibrated to BT.709, madVR will automatically convert the gamut of NTSC/PAL sources to BT.709, so that the colors will look correct on your display."

I'm still looking for answers regarding 2, 3 and 5. Any ideas appreciated.  Thx

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

For information on madVR, please try this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80253.0

This wiki topic has more information:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October

Please post the version of MC that you're using.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi. I've been through those.  18.0.212 (Windows)  I presume the answer to (2) should be easy, but (3) and (5) more complex? Re (5) which part of MC determines the audio output - JRiver or madVR?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

No other ideas?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Okey doke.  

(1) I switched to VNC Viewer and that doesn't have annoying pop ups when exiting the session.

(2) Still don't have an answer to this one…

(3) I have now switched to a NAS setup and mapped a network folder to the PC running JRiver. To add a folder of movies to my JRiver library am I right to Import it or should I be doing it some other way?  I will primarily administer this shared NAS folder from my Mac.  If I drop in another movie, will my library on the PC automatically update?

I have given the PC read/write ability to this folder - this has fixed the thumbnails issue (I guess it was a permissions issue when linked to the Mac folder).  I'm now having to manually delete all the Mac folder items from the JRiver library.

I still have the problem of it not using the full screen space (black borders down left and right as well as the usual letterbox borders top and bottom.

Anamorphic setting gone wrong or something?

(4) Is answered

(5) I still don't understand this part and would appreciate help.  Does JRiver not send an AC3 stream or always second to LPCM?

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe

The questions:

1. How to get around the pop up that displays on the PC when one exits Teamviewer?

If I access the player via RDP I end up with a Windows login page on my display when I exit RDP.  No good. If I access via Teamviewer and then exit I get a message on the display saying this was a sponsored free session of Teamviewer blah blah blah....

You won't until you actually pay for a Teamviewer license.

Quite pricy product, but a fantastic one! Use it both professionally (paid) and private, and have yet to see any real competitors.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

As noted above I have switched to VNC Viewer.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

The image size issue seems to be related to how I am manoeuvring to and from full-screen.  I had it working ok but now it's back.  What's the right way to toggle between full screen video display and user/directory view? I have simply been double-clicking on either the full-screen or the little display in the bottom left of the directory view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up