INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.1 channel issue  (Read 2947 times)

badland

• Recent member
2.1 channel issue
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:16:19 am »

Hi,

MC 19.0.117

I just connected my new subwoofer to ampfer, which is connected to media pc by optical cable. I tried to change channel settings in DSP studio to 2.1 from 2. But on the next song I got error "96kHz 24bit 6ch". What does it mean - 6ch if i set 2ch? I chose "change settings & continue playback". My sub is playing normal with 2 channel setting too. However is it normal. May be I missed something?

I attached settings and error.
Thank you.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 2.1 channel issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:18:48 am »

Optical connections are limited to 2 channels. I'm not quite sure why it says 6ch for you, but even 3 channel would be too much for an optical connection.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:58 am »

Optical connections are limited to 2 channels. I'm not quite sure why it says 6ch for you, but even 3 channel would be too much for an optical connection.

The 2.1 setting always outputs in a 6-channel container with the last three channels blank.  The way Matt previously explained it is that there few/no interfaces that support three channel output, so the "container" options are essentially stereo or 5.1.  

I think "2.1" tries to output a 5.1 signal and only sends audio to the front left/right and subwoofer, which would explain why it's listed as "6 channels".

I'm not sure I understand your audio setup though. If you have an optical connection to the sub, what are you doing for the other speakers?

Is it a 2.1 kit which takes a stereo signal and handles the bass management itself?

I think his SPDIF out is connected to his amp, which is connected to his sub, which is connected to his speakers (i.e. he's using a non-line-level crossover built into his sub).  For that configuration the correct output setting in JRiver is 2-channel, because the sub is handling the crossover between the sub and the speakers.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:00 am »

That makes sense, but considering the others say "...in a 6 channel container", I might have expected that to be here too, but what do I  know!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:31:13 am »

That makes sense, but considering the others say "...in a 6 channel container", I might have expected that to be here too, but what do I  know!

I agree that it is confusing, and this question has come up more than once (I asked it once myself long ago).  I think the 2.1 option predates the other "container" options, so it just may never have been changed to conform. It might be worth clarifying in the settings at some point.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:58 am »

Stereo signals are full range.

If you're using a receiver, it should handle bass management.
If not, there should be crossover and gain settings on the sub to integrate it with your speakers.

I think we're agreeing.  Stereo is the right output setting in JRiver for his setup.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:04 am »

I think his SPDIF out is connected to his amp, which is connected to his sub, which is connected to his speakers (i.e. he's using a non-line-level crossover built into his sub).  For that configuration the correct output setting in JRiver is 2-channel, because the sub is handling the crossover between the sub and the speakers.

I agree.  The most likely "proper" setup for this system is to set MC to 2-channel output.

The alternative is to enable AC3 output in the DSP, but this is probably unnecessary for his speakers, and will (of course) degrade sound quality by recompressing everything to AC3 5.1.

I agree that it is confusing, and this question has come up more than once (I asked it once myself long ago).  I think the 2.1 option predates the other "container" options, so it just may never have been changed to conform. It might be worth clarifying in the settings at some point.

+1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:27 am »

"2.1" setups always seem to have this kind of confusion, whether it's in Media Center or elsewhere, so I agree that it would be good to rename the option to make it easier to understand.

P.S. Sorry for the weirdness in this topic. (disappearing posts)

I wrote up a post, submitted it, and refreshed only to see that someone else had already covered what I had written. So I removed my post to get rid of the redundant information... to have it quoted immediately after posting.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:18 am »

P.S. Sorry for the weirdness in this topic. (disappearing posts)

I wrote up a post, submitted it, and refreshed only to see that someone else had already covered what I had written. So I removed my post to get rid of the redundant information... to have it quoted immediately after posting.

We're quicker than the average bears.  ;)

It happens.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

badland

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:53 am »

Oh, wow. Too fast, guys! :D Thank you!

It was my mistake that I didn't write about my connections:

pc -> soundcard: Creative E-MU 1212 PCIe -> SPDIF -> Amplifier: Onkyo A-9050 -> Bi-Wire 2 (stereo) Polk Audio RTi A7. Today I attached subwoofer to the receiver to a special sub out. If I understood you right, in my case receiver should handle bass management. I leave 2 ch. And thank you for open answers.

Nice support  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up