INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions for managing library on nas between macs and PCs?  (Read 6083 times)

Acrid Avid

• Recent member

Hello all.  Thanks to everyone contributing to this helpful forum.  I am learning a lot.

I am converting from an iTunes based music library to one using JRiver.  I have a home with both PCs and macs and a Netgear ReadyNas Pro with plenty of available space.  I'd like to store my music library on the NAS and have a single JRiver media library that could be accessed from all PCs and macs.  Are the mac and PC libraries cross compatible?  I'm guessing they may not be.  If the two libraries are not cross-compatible between PC and mac, I may just use JRiver on PCs and use VMware or bootcamp on my macs to access the PC version on the library.  Although I like the idea of HTPC, have used them in various ways in the past and am hoping to continue to use HTPCs in the future, if possible, I'd like to have my MC library available without having a single computer dedicated to always being online.  I'd rather just have a single library on the NAS that could be accessed or controlled by any of the PCs. 

Having read some of this forum, I've read about people saving their "library file" on the nas as well as their media on the nas.  Then mapping the networked drive to some letter like "M drive" on all PCs so all PCs that access the library file are using the same path.

I'm posting this on the "mac" side of this forum to see if any of you are achieving anything like this using boot camp or VMware virtualized versions of windows7.  Also wondering if anyone can comment on a way to have mac and pc versions of jrmc utilizing the same library or workflows to minimize work to have jrmc running smoothly on both platforms.

Any suggestions for workflow, directory structure, jrmc settings, etc. are much appreciated.

Otello

• World Citizen
Re: suggestions for managing library on nas between macs and PCs?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:02:16 am »

Well, I asked almost the same question in the Windows section:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88376.0

Anyway, if you are using bootcamp there is no problem: actually you're using a 100% Windows PC, so you may map your network drive as usual.
I haven't a direct experience with virtual machines on OSX, but I've been reported there are no problem, too, with Windows/J-Rriver and Parallel Desktop.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:02 pm »

Hello all.  Thanks to everyone contributing to this helpful forum.  I am learning a lot.

Hi!  :)

I am converting from an iTunes based music library to one using JRiver.  I have a home with both PCs and macs and a Netgear ReadyNas Pro with plenty of available space.  I'd like to store my music library on the NAS and have a single JRiver media library that could be accessed from all PCs and macs.  Are the mac and PC libraries cross compatible?  I'm guessing they may not be. 

Well, kinda...

Read this first, as it should answer most of your questions:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library

Then, read this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88146.0

And, if you're interested in setting this up, this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:45 pm »

I'm posting this on the "mac" side of this forum to see if any of you are achieving anything like this using boot camp or VMware virtualized versions of windows7.  Also wondering if anyone can comment on a way to have mac and pc versions of MC utilizing the same library or workflows to minimize work to have MC running smoothly on both platforms.

I use both.

On my Mac Mini I have both MC Mac that runs natively in OSX, and a Parallels Desktop Windows 8.1 VM that runs MC19.
On my Macbook Pro, I have the same.

All four of these copies are used both with their own independent Libraries (on the Mini mostly for testing, but on the Laptop for offline use).  Mostly, however, they load the network Library served by my main server at home, which is a Windows box running Windows 8.1 and MC19.  My HTPC is also a Windows 8.1 box and it is used pretty much exclusively as a network client of my main server.

Maintaining one "master" Library on a single, always-on, network connected copy of MC will probably provide the best experience, if you want to access the same media from multiple machines.  For audio-only usage, it doesn't really matter if this is a Mac or Windows copy.  However, if you might want to use the Video and Theater View features of MC, then you'd probably be best to use a Windows machine (or a Windows VM on a Mac) as the master server, and then connect to this copy with the other copies as clients.

When you connect to a Windows-served Library with a Mac, all non-audio assets will be hidden, but it otherwise works very well.  There are a few additional limitations when connecting this way, as the source files aren't directly accessible (and must be streamed to the client by the server).  For example, the Right-Click > Locate > On Disk (External) features don't work when connected to a server like this, and you can't drag-drop files directly from MC into other applications on your Mac (into the Finder to make a copy of the file, for example).

If you're clever, and the files are accessible in the same place on the client as the server, MC can do some of these things when connecting Windows > Windows or OSX > OSX, even with a network Library.  But these are minor considerations, especially if you will do most of your "file management" (moving the physical source files around) from whatever machine is set up as the server.

All playback and tagging features work fine.  You can create and modify Playlists, and (if your bandwidth between the client and server permits) stream the full-quality, untouched original sources to the clients for playback.

Hope this helps!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up