INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: access key not working  (Read 3124 times)

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
access key not working
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:03:53 am »

I am using a mobile AP to access jriver using the access key system. It works 75% of the time. After doing some investigation and watching closely, there are times when the access key picks up a different IP address, but checking it through whatsmyip.com shows a different address (actually the same address as before). If I manually use that address, it works fine...until the ip address actually changes.

any ideas what's going on here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: access key not working
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:28 am »

The Access Key method registers two IP addresses with the server at JRiver.  One is your "inside" address.  The other is your "outside" address.  It's the outside address that will work from outside your LAN.

I can think of three possibilities.

1.  Your outside address changes or is unreliable (DNS problem).  If it changes, it takes a few minutes before JRiver knows about the change.

2.  Your inside address is getting used because Gizmo thinks it's available.  A VPN might do that.

3.  If Gizmo can't reach JRiver's server, it will try the last address that worked.

The wiki has a topic called "Network Access".

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:48 am »

Hi Jim... and anyone else who might have an answer for this. When I check on the IP address that the access key is grabbing (using http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id=[MYKEY]) it is grabbing one address, while using "whatsmyip.com" is showing a different address. Logging into my router itself and checking ipconfig it also shows that whatsmyip.com is correct. I just can't figure why the access key is grabbing and holding a different address. It only happens sporadically and lasts more that a few minutes. If the actual IP address was changing it would need to be for a very brief time, because I can't catch it. So, JRiver must be grabbing the new one in a split second and then hanging on to it for a half hour or so. Doesn't make sense.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:39:56 pm »

I just noticed something...The internal address was wrong when checking the access key through webplay. Is it possible that jriver gave the same access key to 2 different computers? When I did a lookup for the wrong address it showed that that IP was owned by Time Warner, I use Frontier and it showed the location in Raleigh NC, I live in Durham NC. We're pretty close. Still it gives pause. I reset the access key and so far so good. Maybe that'll fix it.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:05 am »

OK, the key itself was definitely the problem. Now that I reset the key and got a new one, the problem is gone. When the problem did occur, the access key reported a specific internal and external IP address that wasn't mine. Because the problem happened intermittently, my guess is the other owner of that key started and stopped his server at different times. I also would guess that he didn't have an open port on his router which is why I would just get an error message and not a request for credentials.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:01:35 pm »

OK, the key itself was definitely the problem. Now that I reset the key and got a new one, the problem is gone. When the problem did occur, the access key reported a specific internal and external IP address that wasn't mine. Because the problem happened intermittently, my guess is the other owner of that key started and stopped his server at different times. I also would guess that he didn't have an open port on his router which is why I would just get an error message and not a request for credentials.
That's quite strange, it shouldn't be possible to get the same key.
Are you certain it wasn't as simple as seeing a 1 instead of an l ?

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »

Absolutely not. I was using a mobile AP that had the access key stored. When I started the AP sometimes it pulled my IP addresses sometimes the other set. When it pulled the other set, it would get stuck there for some time. Then I would try again and it worked.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »

Absolutely not. I was using a mobile AP that had the access key stored. When I started the AP sometimes it pulled my IP addresses sometimes the other set. When it pulled the other set, it would get stuck there for some time. Then I would try again and it worked.
Would you send me the old key in a PM and I'll check to see what the database thinks?

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:09 pm »

As an update, it has been more than 2 weeks now and I have had zero trouble with the new key. It had to have been a problem of some type with the old one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up