INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo App and playback  (Read 1012 times)

vroom

• Recent member
Gizmo App and playback
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »

Greetings all. Is it possible to use the gizmo app to play audio through my receiver with the tv off? The only way I can currently get audio through my receiver is when the tv is also on. I imagine it is some sort of pass through setting?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo App and playback
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »

I'd expect that it will depend on the specifics of your hardware. What details can you provide? I'm assuming you've got an HDMI signal involved.

I just tested this now with my setup where I've got HDMI out of my amp and into my monitor (read a Sony Bravia TV). For fun, I turned off the TV / Monitor. There's a brief hiccup in the audio through the amp as the signal unlocks and then relocks but MC keeps playing. Gizmo keeps doing its thing.

It's a great option if I want to play back in stealth mode. Gizmo lets me control things, even though the MC world has gone dark.

You might want to search on Interact for details but this might be relevant:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84530.10
Especially the references to pieces of hardware that maintain an HDMI lock.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

My setup is similar to yours. HDMI running from my HTPC to a receiver, then receiver to plasma. You mentioned that the audio works after your TV is on then subsequently turned off. Can you play right from the get go through Gizmo with the TV off?

Thanks for the link, I will do some more reading.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:55 pm »

I had a read through that thread. I think that would not apply to Gizmo as the app won't cold boot a PC, but it does wake it up from sleep which is handy.

One thing I didn't try is shutting the TV off while the PC was fresh from a boot and never went to sleep. I better start writing all this crap down so I can reproduce the problem lol.

I agree it is an HDMI issue though and I'm going to keep playing with the settings.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:01 am »

My setup is similar to yours. HDMI running from my HTPC to a receiver, then receiver to plasma. You mentioned that the audio works after your TV is on then subsequently turned off. Can you play right from the get go through Gizmo with the TV off?

Thanks for the link, I will do some more reading.

If "from the get go" you mean booting up from cold, then no. I'm talking about a deal that's hot where MC's been kicked off and running.

My setup has a very low carbon footprint because it's low power due to the fanless case. As a result, I'm not irked by leaving things run round the clock. Drives spin down, though, &/or go to sleep but the system is still always available.

Have fun testing..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up