INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn off TV...  (Read 2369 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Turn off TV...
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:13:50 am »

Hey,

If I put a music channel (or any channel for that matter) on my DVR (Sky+ in the UK) and turn the TV off, it continues playing through my receiver, after a very short period of time due to re-handshaking. However, if I do something like this with my HTPC (to prevent screen burn), it just stops and never comes back. If I turn the TV back on, the content is still playing but with no sound - I have to stop and re-start it.

My setup is source device (i.e. PS3/Sky+/HTPC) > AVR > TV. It's a Windows or driver thing rather than MC, because if I play YouTube through IE the same thing happens, but is there anything I can do?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Turn off TV...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:03 am »

It depends a bit on the AVR in my experience.
In general, the HDMI connection goes away  when the TV is shut down, and the graphics card in your HTPC stops sending anything. Similar, if your HTPC shuts the display off (ie. idle timer), audio also stops.

With some AVRs however, the connection remains active even with the display is off, as it takes over the connection from the TV.

There probably isn't going to be an easy fix. HDMI in general is only supported rather badly by HTPCs, many use-cases are left out.

Too bad there is no proper general purpose digital audio connection independent of video, so that you could run that to the AVR. SPDIF/optical is bandwidth starved (limited to 2ch or AC3 encoded), and USB is usually not supported by AVRs.
HDMI is the only choice for full audio, but it can leave us wishing for more.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:45:56 am »

I do not have that problem on my TVs.  Upon TV shut off, I have a one second sound interruption, that's it.
- Intel HD4x00 (NUCs or LGA 115x mainboards)
- Harman Kardon AVRs
- Samsung or Toshiba TVs

I do not think there is an easy solution, other than changing hardware  ?

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:11 am »

I'm sure it's not the TV and/or AVR as it works fine from my DVR and PS3. It's only from the PC this happens.

So it's either the GPU, the GPU drivers or something in Windows.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:54:51 am »

I have green-screen and audio problems via HDMI with most of my equipment after turning the TV off or switching inputs. This includes Freesat receiver, Freesat+ DVR, Samsung Bluray player, HTPC.

If you suspect drivers, then make sure all your drivers and Windows itself is up to date.

Other than that, it's a hardware problem. There's no configuration of HDMI you can do as far as I'm aware, apart from the usual resolution etc.  There's no switch to say "behave properly when the destination device is removed". Everyone here is telling you there's no answer as it's a hardware problem, including the threads in the past that I've linked to, apart from that add-on device which will retain EDID information when the destination device is removed.

HDMI is like DLNA - someone didn't think the whole thing through properly.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:49 am »

A couple of long shots but worth a try.
1: Switch the browser in MC from IE to Chromium (tools/options/tree & view/web browser/engine
2: If you have a DVI to HDMI adapter use the DVI output from your motherboard or video card. DVI supports audio on some devices and I have seen where it gets handled a little differently.
Sean

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 06:34:29 am »

I think something like the Gefen "HDMI Detective Plus" would solve this issue, as it would leave the PC thinking it is still connected to the TV when you switch it off.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:41:10 am »

I think something like the Gefen "HDMI Detective Plus" would solve this issue, as it would leave the PC thinking it is still connected to the TV when you switch it off.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859

Isn't there an option in Tools > Options somewhere that has a switch to leave the display signal to HDMI on?

I'm away from my machine but I've got this suspicion that the solution is already at everyone's fingertips. If I'm wrong, what does that function actually do?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:48:07 am »

Isn't there an option in Tools > Options somewhere that has a switch to leave the display signal to HDMI on?

I'm away from my machine but I've got this suspicion that the solution is already at everyone's fingertips. If I'm wrong, what does that function actually do?

it is under tools/options/audio/settings "Disable display from turning off (useful for HDMI audio)"
Sean

csimon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:53:18 am »

I always thought that was for power-saving issues to override the Power management settings, i.e. do not turn off display after 10 minutes if MC is playing audio. It is normally OK for the screen to turn off if you're not using HDMI for your audio.  I could be wrong ( :) ) but I don't think this has anything to do with the way the GPU will handshake with the destination device.  It's about not allowing the PC to turn its display off, rather than keeping alive the connection when the TV gets turned off.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:06 am »

Yes, that should prevent the screen from turning off during playback.
This doesn't help when ldoodle wants to turn off his display to prevent burn-in though, which breaks the audio connection. (even though it's playing to his AVR)

Something you could do though, is use the "blank" screensaver in Windows, so you could leave the display on but not have to worry about burn-in.
Many displays also have an "image off" option as well, though it's usually buried several menu layers deep rather than having a dedicated button on the remote, almost rendering it useless.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:41:49 am »

Something you could do though, is use the "blank" screensaver in Windows, so you could leave the display on but not have to worry about burn-in.

This is what I do with my plasma.

This, plus the new Theater View dimming, and it isn't an issue at all anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up