Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

(1/23) > >>

JimH:
We're probably going to introduce a hardware product this year.  I'd like to ask you for your reaction.

[Edit June 15, 2014 -- We're shipping it now.  The name changed to JRiver Id.  Here's a new thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0 ]
One possibility is an audiophile digital media player based on the Intel NUC 2820, which can be purchased at retail for a little over $250 (with memory and small SSD).  jmone reviewed it on Interact recently.

Ours would be this NUC plus Linux (probably Debian) plus JRiver Media Center for Linux, configured to be used as a DLNA Renderer, and possible to configure and use without a monitor.  It would probably sell for $395.

The initial version would be audio only because that's what MC on Linux does now.  Eventually, it might be upgradable to also play video and images.

Advantages over other DLNA Renderers:

1.  Higher quality audio
2.  JRiver reliability and bug fixes
3.  JRiver's remote control options (for Android and iOS)
4.  A device that could be repurposed if needed

Is this interesting?

6233638:
I have actually been considering a NUC as something to use for a Media Center client.
However, I would want Windows on it so that I can use it for video playback (with madVR) and from reading around, it seems like they can get quite noisy when used for demanding tasks like that.
I also have concerns about whether it would be capable of DSD playback. (conversion to PCM rather than bitstreaming)

$400 seems an awful lot simply for a DLNA audio renderer, especially as it will just be a "transport" for a DAC, without having a high quality audio output of its own.
If this was a custom box with a display and hardware controls (something like the old Squeezebox devices) I would be more interested.

cncb:
I also think it would be a hard sell given all the ~$100 boxes that can be DLNA renderers (including video) which also include many of the online services (Netflix, etc.).

mattkhan:
Is it a linux box that is shipped with jriver or a locked down jriver appliance?

glynor:
As an all-in-one HTPC with video support?

HECK YES.

As audio only?  Sorry bub.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version