Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (2/23) > >>

fitbrit:

--- Quote from: glynor on March 05, 2014, 04:01:58 pm ---As an all-in-one HTPC with video support?

HECK YES.

As audio only?  Sorry bub.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much the same response from me. When I saw Linux, I got excited because it would be great as an MC server, but renderer only, audio only, $400 is too steep. It also seems like a waste of the power of the NUC. You might eb better of selling cheap Android tabs preconfigured with Gizmo, and developing a way to push audio to Gizmo as a zone.

millst:
I might pay in that range for JRiver software supporting encrypted DLNA (DTCP-IP?) so I could dump my cablecard TiVo for something from SiliconDust...

-tm

JimH:

--- Quote from: cncb on March 05, 2014, 03:29:41 pm ---I also think it would be a hard sell given all the ~$100 boxes that can be DLNA renderers (including video) which also include many of the online services (Netflix, etc.).

--- End quote ---
We haven't found a DLNA Renderer that works all the time on all file types.

They're also not audiophile quality.

pcstockton:

--- Quote from: JimH on March 05, 2014, 03:16:42 pm ---

Advantages over other DLNA Renderers:

1.  Higher quality audio
2.  JRiver reliability and bug fixes
3.  A device that could be repurposed if needed

Is this interesting?

--- End quote ---

VERY interesting to me.

Although I would want a top notch audio digital output in SPDIF or BNC.  If you are thinking it would be akin to a SqueezeBox with it's digital output quality, I could see it moving.

If it could do 1080 video without a hitch (like my WDTV) I would be able to replace my WDTV and HTPC for something like this.  Run it headless with JRemote, and repurpose my HTPC as my server.

Regarding your comment above, what renderers are you referring to that this would best.

Thanks,
Patrick

JimH:

--- Quote from: mattkhan on March 05, 2014, 03:32:17 pm ---Is it a linux box that is shipped with jriver or a locked down jriver appliance?

--- End quote ---
A Linux box with JRiver.  Not locked down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version