Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (3/23) > >>

JimH:

--- Quote from: glynor on March 05, 2014, 04:01:58 pm ---As an all-in-one HTPC with video support?

HECK YES.

As audio only?  Sorry bub.

--- End quote ---
The Linux version of MC doesn't do video yet.  That's the obstacle.

glynor:

--- Quote from: JimH on March 05, 2014, 05:11:55 pm ---The Linux version of MC doesn't do video yet.  That's the obstacle.

--- End quote ---

I get it.  Just answering.  ;)

jmone:
I agree - good value prop if MC had Video working on Linux.  Not so much with just audio.  The other option is to sell it with windows but I don't know how much the OEM Win version would push the price up.

6233638:
If it can do video, it certainly gets a lot more interesting, though if it's Linux-based I would assume we should expect EVR (Red October Standard) quality video rather than madVR (ROHQ) quality video.

I'm guessing that the plan would be to use Linux for a couple of reasons:
[*]No licensing fees.
[*]Far more stable as an "appliance" with less to go wrong or support (and people are less likely to try and use it "as a PC")
[/list]

Looking over jmone's review, I see that it has a JRmark score of 1014 - I thought ~2000 was the recommended minimum for stereo DSD playback? (and it won't cope with multichannel at all)

But I suppose I'm not the intended market, as I would be more likely to buy a NUC and a fanless enclosure and set it up myself, or build a small form-factor PC than this.

astromo:
You do see users here from time to time purely wanting an audio only deal, because they ask how to disable the view tree from showing video and other items they don't want. So there is a market, it's just a question of how big.

It would help your assessment if MC could log and report usage patterns in an optional and up front way, so you've got your ethical bases covered. As long as this didn't come at a significant cpu overhead, it wouldn't get user performance complaint. Then with a question like this you could put the word out for users to submit their usage reports similar to the meta data and cover art process. You'd get better quality of feedback than a shout out and it would be easier than a survey. Too many of those turning up in inboxes as it is... just thinking out loud.

For myself, I would echo the thoughts of glynor and jmone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version