INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Parametric Equaliser  (Read 7046 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Help with Parametric Equaliser
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »

I have an 8-channel USB soundcard and, for reasons best known to myself, I want to mix from stereo sources to 4-channels in surround (i.e. 4.0 I guess, main front channels unaltered with surround effects on the sides - equivalent to 5.1 but with no centre or sub) and then stereo on each of the other two pairs.

What's the best way of achieving this?

First of all, the output format dialog doesn't give me the option of "4 channels (inside 7.1 container)" which is what I instinctively want to do. Instead there's a long list of n-channel modes, plus 2 channels in various containers, plus 5.1 inside 7.1 container, as shown in attached screenshot.

So I've got JRSS mixing in "5.1 (inside 7.1 container)", with Move Center to L&R checked, then for the subwoofer option I've tried both Silent, and Send All Frequencies to Sub.

In Parametric Equaliser I then copy L&R to RL and RR, and L&R to Center and Sub, to give me the 2 extra pairs of stereo outputs.

Does this all sound correct?  And which is the best subwoofer option, as obviously I don't want to lose the sub frequencies that would be generated as the .1, as I don't have a sub.

csimon

Re: Help with Parametric Equaliser
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »

Oops, screenshot now attached.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

So I've got JRSS mixing in "5.1 (inside 7.1 container)", with Move Center to L&R checked, then for the subwoofer option I've tried both Silent, and Send All Frequencies to Sub.

In Parametric Equaliser I then copy L&R to RL and RR, and L&R to Center and Sub, to give me the 2 extra pairs of stereo outputs.

Does this all sound correct?  And which is the best subwoofer option, as obviously I don't want to lose the sub frequencies that would be generated as the .1, as I don't have a sub.

That's almost perfect, you're just missing one step, you need to copy the LFE information from the sub to the other speakers before you copy over it.  

1) First, you want to set the sub to "silent," the output format "sub setting" just determines whether to re-route bass content from the other speakers to the sub channel (which you do not want because you have no sub); that setting has no effect on the LFE channel (the .1 channel), which goes to the sub channel unless you've specified an output format without a .1 in it.  

2)  The LFE (.1) channel is going into your "sub" channel with those output settings, and if you copy over it you've lost it.  So you need to "add" the sub channel information to the other speakers before you copy over it.  I'd recommend adding sub to L and R first, before copying them.  I'd also recommend using a -3dB volume adjustment when adding (so that playing it back on two channels at the same time won't increase the perceived volume of the LFE information).   So you'd basically use two "add" mix channel filters at the very beginning of your parametric equalizer sequence.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:44:07 am »

Great, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up