INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When renaming files Folder.jpg not following  (Read 4785 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
When renaming files Folder.jpg not following
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:36:59 am »

I brought this one up a few times... When renaming files to a different folder (Library tools -> (Rename, Move & Copy Files...)
Folder.jpg should follow and it would be extremely nice to also have the option to transfer *.txt;*.log files to follow as well (this one is a nice to have)...

But the cover art should follow the music files. (Folder.jpg)

Currently using 19.0.120

thx

Vincent Kars

Re: When renaming files Folder.jpg not following
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:19 am »

It does.
You should see them in the file view
Make sure that JRiver import them as well (Tools > Import > Single folder)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for the response. Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you telling me I need to re-run the import on that specific folder for the coverart to appear?

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »

When you rename files via Media Center, what it's actually doing is moving them to a new folder with the name you specify.
If the original folder is empty after the files have been moved, Media Center will delete it. If the original folder still contains files, Media Center will leave it there.

When you choose to move files, it will only move the files you have selected and any associated sidecar files.
Currently, Media Center only treats XML files as sidecars - files such as Folder.jpg, Cover.jpg, Liner Notes.pdf etc. are not considered to be sidecar files.

So if you want to change your folder structure, you need to have the Folder.jpg files imported as part of your library, and include them in the renaming step by using a view which displays both the images and the audio files.

I found this to be a major hassle, so I ended up removing all my Folder.jpg files, embedding cover art in the files themselves where supported, and saving cover art to a separate location instead.
This has its own drawbacks, but I prefer it to the possibility of creating "duplicate" folders and leaving orphaned files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:52:04 pm »

FWIW, I've dealt with this for a long while as well.  There are ways to work around it, if you need to keep non-embedded artwork as sidecars, though as 6233638 mentions, it is a bit of a hassle.

It'd be nice if it would treat "simple cases" of Folder.jpg and [Album].jpg as sidecars and moved them like the JRSidecar.xml files.  That wouldn't solve all of my cases, but it would solve the majority.

Until such time as the above is implemented, if you need help setting up a scheme where you can move them all together, just ask for help.  It takes a little elbow grease to set up at the beginning, but once you get it all set, it isn't bad to handle them via the Rename, Move, and Copy tools.  Basically, the deal is you need to import the auxiliary files and tag them so that they "match" in MC (at least as far as is needed to make your renaming rule match).  Then, when you move the files, you use a special view where you can see EVERYTHING (including the normally hidden sidecar files) and move them all using the same renaming rule.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »

I agree, best is to store the image inside the file.
However, downloads often come with liner notes e.g. in PDF.
If you move, you want to move them all.

If you right click on Audio > Customize > Rules for file display; you see that this view is limited to audio.
You might ad others like images etc but it will clutter up your display.
Beside images won't play.

As it is limited to audio, if you select an album to move, you only move the audio, not the rest.

Your best bet: select an Album and choose "Locate" > Om disk inside Media Center
This will give you a list of all files in the folder including JPG, PDF etc.
Select them all to Move files

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:12:13 am »

It'd be nice if it would treat "simple cases" of Folder.jpg and [Album].jpg as sidecars and moved them like the JRSidecar.xml files.  That wouldn't solve all of my cases, but it would solve the majority.

+1

Wanted this for a long time

Ross

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:16 am »

If I recall correctly, someone on the JRiver team said that it would not be trivial to implement new sidecar filetypes, or allow for custom sidecars. (I would love to use custom sidecars instead of simply adding fixed ones like Folder.jpg etc.)

Maybe MC20?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:26 am »

The problem is that sidecar files typically belong to one media file, so if that media file is moved, so is the sidecar. A Folder.jpg belongs to the album, not any individual file, which complicates this a bit in the current setup.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59:21 am »

The problem is that sidecar files typically belong to one media file, so if that media file is moved, so is the sidecar. A Folder.jpg belongs to the album, not any individual file, which complicates this a bit in the current setup.

Right.  So, to explain in more plain English for others...  What happens if you move one of the files in an album, but not all of them?  What happens if you move files from an album to multiple separate directories (splitting it up)?

I actually do the latter often as I don't care about compilation albums and store them on disk /Music/[Artist Letter]/[Artist]/[Album]/ style.  This means that an album that imports as one folder, and might have a folder.jpg file, gets split up by artist into multiple directories when I do a Rename, Move, and Copy on the album to push it to the final storage location.

Those kinds of cases make it a bit complex.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »

Good to see I'm not the only one requesting this!!  I pretty much use the same workarounds as per above..However embedding in files is not an option for me.  Hopefully developers will find a way to make this happen.  In the meantime there's ways to work around it..

FWIW here's my workaround:

1.I copy the original folder in my library folder (either from Drives & Devices in MC or with windows explorer)
2. then do the conversion , Analyze audio, file renaming etc.. in the copied folder.
3. Also a good way to keep a backup in case something goes wrong in the file renaming...

(I have to say my monkey was pretty good with this...)
Cheers

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:09 pm »

i'm going to tag onto this thread, instead of making a new one

after just starting to import a friends large collection, this is getting really old!  Media Monkey used to have an option to move all files in the folder along with the media files.  my issue is all the scanned artwork, log, cue etc. 

why can't we just move all the files in that folder along with the .flac files?  i've been trying the mentioned workarounds but so far nothing satisfying is coming up....if i make a view that sees all the files (log, cue, jpg, flac), then i can't rename/move/copy all at once, because of my rules (i.e. album, artist and all that) and the sidecar files have none of this data

if anyone knows of a workaround, i don't mind spending a bunch of time setting it up...thanks!

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:36 am »

i'm going to tag onto this thread, instead of making a new one....Media Monkey used to have an option to move all files in the folder along with the media files.  my issue is all the scanned artwork, log, cue etc....why can't we just move all the files in that folder along with the .flac files?  

Me Too.
It's about time this was addressed by the development team manager. It is far more than a nice to have.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:13 am »

+1

Ross

connersw

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 11:12:15 am »

+1 

This is probably the most difficult part of managing my Library through MC and relates back to how MC handles "rename."  There was a long thread on this a while back where Matt said he was listening, but then with the accident, it rightfully fell to the back burner.  Maybe now that he is back it might be possible to revisit? 

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85295.msg582930

I thought MrC had an excellent idea for how to handle it:

The idea is to simplify renaming the folder path of already imported files.

It would be exactly as the tool is today, however, it would have one additional checkbox, which conveys "Show/include all files in a folder - including non-imported files".

With that box checked, the preview window will show not only the imported files, but would also show non-imported files, which for most users would be the secure rip report, additional artwork, PDFs, supplemental text files, etc.

The Rename could still be metadata-based.  In this mode non-imported files (which don't have or may not have metadata) would inherit the metadata from, say, the first imported file (i.e. typically Track 1) in a folder.  The idea being that users typically just want to change the folder paths of one or more albums.  The inheritance follows and tracks the folder path.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »

Or just add an option to add the extensions we want MC to move as well such as *.log;*.pdf;*.png;*.txt etc...
Pages: [1]   Go Up