INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Define different audio outputs for different files?  (Read 1697 times)

gandt

• Recent member
Define different audio outputs for different files?
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:33 am »

Tried to see if this had been asked but could not find anything. Sorry if its an old question.
99% of my listening is stereo and I route this into my Musical Fidelity DAC using wasapi. It works very well. Once in a while I have an .iso or some other file that has a 5.1 channel version e.g. Jethro Tull's Passion Play remix. Under these circumstances I'd like to route it differently:

The ideal solution: with just these file types take left and right channel routed  through the usual high quality wasapi route with the other channels routed into A.V. amp

But if this is not possible: configure just these file type to not be routed via wasapi but all channels via hdmi into av amp

Can this be set up in some automated fashion?

Graham

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Define different audio outputs for different files?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:55 am »

Yes, create a new Zone for each output device and then use Zone Switch to define the rules.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »

Thank you. I'll go and try to figure it out now!

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

OK is this right: for my purposes I would configure one Zone called maybe "Stereo Front Speakers" - which would send normal audio out through the Dac using wasapi and be mostly what id use for music playback in stereo but Id also create one called "Surround channels" which does not include the front left and right but does include all the rest which would be routed via hdmi to the av amp. When I wanted to play back a bit of surround music I would play back using both zones. IS that right? (sorry cant test it yet but wanted to check theory right)

Graham

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:35 pm »

You should send all channels through the same device - when you use separate devices you are going to have issues with them drifting out of sync because they are running off different clocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up