INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to manage/maintain a library for a portable player?  (Read 1838 times)

anilveena

• Recent member
Any way to manage/maintain a library for a portable player?
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

I'm hoping that someone that has very likely run into this can provide some help/guidance.

Problem statement:  I use MC to manage my main music library with a fairly large (and growing) collection of hi-rez music.  I've organized it with custom tags (like Work) so classical music is organized differently than (say) Jazz -- I really like this feature on MC in combination with the custom library views.

I would now like to enjoy this collection to my portable audio player, but am running into a couple of inherent issues:

a) the player has a 128GB capacity - I can handle this by only copying a subset of my collection and possibly downsampling to 44.1K
b) the player on the DAP will not recognize my custom tags and will just organize by the usual Artist/Album tags - this means that my collection that's organized for MC will not nicely transport to the player

I was wondering if there's anything already available on MC that can help me with this?  I believe the Windows version has the capability to maintain a separate "view(?)" of the library that can be maintained for the DAP and can keep it in sync.  But I don't want to purchase a new license just for this.

Anil

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Any way to manage/maintain a library for a portable player?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:14 pm »

Create a virtual (folder-based) Handheld, configure the conversions you want, and configure a playlist/smartlist which define the content.  This will populate the folder with converted files.

At this point, you'll probably want to use Rename, Move & Copy to do tag-based renames on the converted files.

Unfortunately, MC lacks the ability to convert and rename at the same time.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

anilveena

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »

Great thanks, I will try this out!  I assume this will create a parallel structure and does not affect my main library?

Anil

Create a virtual (folder-based) Handheld, configure the conversions you want, and configure a playlist/smartlist which define the content.  This will populate the folder with converted files.

At this point, you'll probably want to use Rename, Move & Copy to do tag-based renames on the converted files.

Unfortunately, MC lacks the ability to convert and rename at the same time.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:29 pm »

Right.  But you'll want to have the converted items also in the Library to do the Rename.  Just uses your views to separate them.  Configure your main views (or even the Audio top-level view) to filter out the converted files, and create a separate view to include only those files (un-check the Use parent scheme rules for file display in Customize View).

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »

umm,

where is the option to create a Handheld in the Mac version?
In fact I'm missing the windows option to convert to a Handhelp.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »

Sorry, my mistake.   I sometimes fail to notice that some posts are on the Mac board.

It doesn't appear to be in the Mac version.  So you'd have to use the Convert tool against the set of files, perhaps defined via a playlist or smartlist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up