INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray audio discs  (Read 5712 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Blu-ray audio discs
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:28 pm »

Well I just bought my first Blu-ray audio disc, and I'm having a bit of difficulty getting it to play in Media Center.
The main album works fine, as that's a "video" (just a blank screen showing the track names) with a PCM stereo track and a DTS-HD multichannel track.

But most of the other titles on the disc won't play. Media Center hangs at "opening..." for 30-60 seconds, and eventually I get a black screen and playback appears  to be paused. (progress bar doesn't move)
If there's a video it seems to work fine, but I think the ones which are hanging are audio only.
It also looks like there are tracks on the disc which don't have playlists associated with them, as I can't seem to find all of the bonus tracks - but I guess that's because they expected them to be accessed via BD Menus/Java.

Browsing the disc via Explorer, I am able to load the audio-only m2ts files directly, and they do play in Media Center - I'm just having some difficulty figuring out what tracks they are.
I think there is something odd going on with the authoring though - I thought I'd try ripping the audio out of the M2TS files and putting them into MKAs, but MKVmerge is giving me a "The input file does not contain any tracks" error with some of them - though Media Center doesn't have a problem playing them when I load them directly. (rather than via a playlist)

I think I'll be able to figure something out (I'll probably use Media Center to convert from DTS-HD to FLAC since it can play these files) but I was wondering if anything could be done to improve the playback of these "audio-only" playlists.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Blu-ray audio discs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »

Which disk do you have?
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »

Which disk do you have?
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning. (it was a blind purchase and I'm not sure that it's to my taste from what I've heard so far, but I'm more concerned about titles not playing correctly)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »

I'll see if I can grab a couple today and have a play.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »

FYI - they did not have this disk and the 4 I purchased were all fine.  I've created a thread for these - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88100.msg603779#msg603779

PS - do you want me to merge this thread into the one I created?
JRiver CEO Elect

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:02:44 pm »

Hey jmone. Did you buy them from a shop in Sydney or online? If a shop which one?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »

JB Chatwood Chase had a dozen or so - but more online
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 11:31:57 pm »

FYI - they did not have this disk and the 4 I purchased were all fine.  I've created a thread for these - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88100.msg603779#msg603779
OK - thanks for the update. Good to see that these discs seem to work correctly.

PS - do you want me to merge this thread into the one I created?
No - I think this is a specific issue with LAV Filters (or the disc's mastering) rather than being something which will affect all Blu-ray discs.
I'm not sure this disc is under the "Pure Audio" branding either.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Blu-ray audio discs
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:14 pm »

JB Chatwood Chase had a dozen on so - but more online

Cool that's just 5 minutes from my place. Will check it out next time we go shopping.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 11:48:49 pm »

No - I think this is a specific issue with LAV Filters (or the disc's mastering) rather than being something which will affect all Blu-ray discs.
I'm not sure this disc is under the "Pure Audio" branding either.

I agree - from what I could see it is just branded as "normal" BD so I'm thinking it has some "unique" mastering....
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:13:36 am »

Dudes ... you've just sent JB's international.

You should hit them up for commission.

Anyhoo, thanks for the intel. Now I've got another outlet for my cash..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:13:51 pm »

But most of the other titles on the disc won't play. Media Center hangs at "opening..." for 30-60 seconds, and eventually I get a black screen and playback appears  to be paused. (progress bar doesn't move)
If there's a video it seems to work fine, but I think the ones which are hanging are audio only.

Hendrik - any suggestions for what I need to send you so you can investigate why this isn't playing?

NathanielOtto

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:23:17 am »

What's your medie center? Have you tried common audio format like MP3, AAC, or AC3 for output?
Pages: [1]   Go Up