INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Question  (Read 2550 times)

jaredean

• Recent member
Volume Question
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:25:09 am »

Forgive my pedestrian verbiage, but I don't know how else to ask this other than plain language (as opposed to using terms like decibels, etc.)

I am using an Audioengine D1 DAC and have MC19 set as Internal Volume so i can use my keyboard to adjust my music.  Side note, i HATE that i can't use my keyboard for my system volume and need to point my remote at my amp, but that is a different topic...

So, like i said i'm using Internal Volume and the Maximum Volume is 100 and the Internal Volume Reference is also 100.  I find that i have to turn up my amp pretty loud to get the music loud and i'm at the upper end of the volume bar at a comfortable volume.  But, system sounds are VERY loud, which leads me to believe that the MC19 volume is still too quiet for me.  Is there a way to increase the volume (past 100) for MC19 so i don't have to have it up so loud to have it sound normal?

Not sure any of that made sense...still new and a bit confused...

jared

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:41:12 am »

If you are using Volume Leveling, this will reduce the average playback volume to -23dB.
This is intentional, as you need that much headroom to prevent either clipping during playback, or unevenness in the leveling.

If you are using an exclusive output (e.g. WASAPI) what you should be able to do is, with playback stopped, go into the Windows sound control panel and reduce the volume level for your output device to 54%. (which I believe corresponds to -23dB)

This should help minimize the difference between the system sounds and Media Center's playback, as long as you use the amplifier to control the volume rather than using the Internal volume control.
You may find that 54% is too much though, as that would be the maximum level for system sounds, rather than the average level. You might find that something in the 54-74% range is better.

You could continue to use the Internal volume control, but be aware that as you reduce the volume in Media Center, it will make the system sounds louder relative to the music level.

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »

If you are using Volume Leveling, this will reduce the average playback volume to -23dB.
This is intentional, as you need that much headroom to prevent either clipping during playback, or unevenness in the leveling.

If you are using an exclusive output (e.g. WASAPI) what you should be able to do is, with playback stopped, go into the Windows sound control panel and reduce the volume level for your output device to 54%. (which I believe corresponds to -23dB)

This should help minimize the difference between the system sounds and Media Center's playback, as long as you use the amplifier to control the volume rather than using the Internal volume control.
You may find that 54% is too much though, as that would be the maximum level for system sounds, rather than the average level. You might find that something in the 54-74% range is better.

You could continue to use the Internal volume control, but be aware that as you reduce the volume in Media Center, it will make the system sounds louder relative to the music level.

Thanks for taking the time to pound this out for me...unfortunately you've given me excellent advice if i was on a PC, but i'm on a Mac...do you have the equivalent?  I also can't adjust the volume using the Internal Volume Control - the Mac locks it so i can't use it and need to use my external amp...

jared

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:39 pm »

Oh I'm sorry - I didn't notice I was in the Mac section!  :-[

I'm not near a Mac right now, so I'm not sure if there is a solution for this. (or what it would be)
Try the "Audio MIDI Setup" app as that's the closest thing I can think of to the Windows Sound control panel.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »

You can certainly use Internal Volume control in MC Mac.

I suspect the issue is that you don't know what Internal Volume is, as far as MC is concerned.  Read more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »

You can certainly use Internal Volume control in MC Mac.

I suspect the issue is that you don't know what Internal Volume is, as far as MC is concerned.  Read more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

Sorry, i used the wrong verbiage - i meant i can't adjust the system volume with my volume controls. I can adjust the internal volume - hence my original question stating that i was using internal volume.  The Audio MIDI setup isn't the place for adjusting the volume on the system...

To answer the other question, i'm not using Volume Leveling...

Any other suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up