INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When media files are on an external drive  (Read 722 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
When media files are on an external drive
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:58 am »

I use MC19 for audio only. (And most often playing to an DLNA renderer, but I think that irrelevant to this question.)

My PC is a Microsoft Surface with only 128 GB of storage (a Solid State Drive). So the ripped data from my several thousand CDs has to reside on an external USB 3.0 drive.

My question is what will happen if I disconnect my external drive and then open MC19. I know from experience that with Windows Media Player all the metadata gets lost and reverts to default values because WMP assumes I've deleted the library. (That behavior was my prime motivation for looking for a better audio player.)

I know that MC19 uses the data in the FLAC files, and when I later reconnect the drive, I assume MC19 will again find the Composer, the Album name, and all the other data fields that I worked so hard to change from what was there originally (based on either the CD manufacturer or some Internet service). But how about data fields like Last Played? Will I lose that data?

My goal is to copy a subset of FLAC files to the internal drive for times I want to remove the external drive (such as when I travel). I will then tell WM19 about the folder on the internal drive with these FLAC copies. When I am ready to hook up the external drive again (after returning home), I'll remove the temporary folder from the list of monitored folders before starting up MC19. The hope is that NOTHING will be lost in the way of metadata.

Pages: [1]   Go Up